Going paperless - form replacement - suggestions please.

Closed
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Nov 26, 2015 at 08:35 AM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Dec 1, 2015 at 10:58 AM
Hi All,

I have no idea how to ask this, so please bear with me on this.

My wonderful boss has tasked me with what seems to be such a simple idea, ut I have no idea on what the task entails. Let me tell you what we currently do, and then what my boss wants ...

Currently our 24 hour operation has 3 shifts to cover it, each shift comprising of 5 people. Each shift has a pring out of all the jobs that need to be completed and has a space for the members of the team to sign off what has been done, and add any comments if required. This uses a ream of paper per week!

My boss wants me to devise a paperless version of this, so each team member can have the list open at the same time and ammend it when they do a task. All members of the team should be able to see an up-to-date list. As some of the things are time sensitive, it would be nice to be able to pop a window up on every users monitor to warn them that the time in nigh.

We use Windows 7 and have Office 2007.

Any suggestions on what I should use for this would be appreciated (as would ideas of how to go about it)

Thanks
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Nov 26, 2015 at 12:13 PM
I suggest you not waste your time trying to automate your office using Office 2007. You will run into "file sharing" problems when you try to have the same document open for updating on multiple computers.
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Dec 1, 2015 at 10:58 AM
Thanks xpcman.

I did fear this. However, it seems that some Excel and Access documents seem to be ok on the network, whereas others do not.

I was wondering about an SQL database and getting the "front end" to refresh every minute or so.

If Im totally out to lunch here, what software would you suggest so I can get it authorized and any requires licences purchases (though free for business use would be more likely to be accepted.

Thanks for your help so far.