D Drive is not showing files

Closed
Haythaman Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday December 8, 2015 Status Member Last seen December 14, 2015 - Dec 8, 2015 at 05:50 AM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Dec 15, 2015 at 05:48 AM
Hi,

One day, I opened my D drive and I was surprised by don't seeing all my data there! (just one PDF file who had persists, I don't know why)
The properties of the drive say that It contains 124Go. But, not able to get anything. (as you can see in the next photo)

I've tryied many solutions but none of it has resolved my issue:
- Show hidden files
- Show protected files
- Analyse the drive with an antivirus
- Open the drive from linux distribution

Can you please help with that?
Related:

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Dec 8, 2015 at 08:22 PM
Hi Haythaman,

The only thing I can think of with this is to try to retrieve the data as though it has been deleted. When you delete stuff it doesnt really get deleted - just marked as able to be written to.

First thing to do is ensure you dont write to the "D:\" drive.

Im not sure this will work, but try downloading "Find and Mount" program. Install it ON YOUR "C:\" drive. Then scan the "D:\" drive and save what it finds (if it finds anything at all that is) to any drive other than your "D:\" drive. If you try saving anything to this drive then you may overwrite the data you are trying to save.

Please let me know how you get on.

I really appreciate thank you messages as a payment for solving issues   :o)
Haythaman Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday December 8, 2015 Status Member Last seen December 14, 2015
Dec 14, 2015 at 04:28 AM
Hi BrianGreen,

Thanks for your solution. I've tried it but it didn't resolve my issue.
I've used "Partition Find and Mount" tool. After the scanning is done, the D drive were shown to me, I mounted it and then I opened the mounted result but It shows only the PDF file.

Remark: I've wrote on "D:\" already (after I got the problem: for testing purpose).

Please is there another solution that can help me retrieve my data?
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Dec 15, 2015 at 05:48 AM
Unfortunately I know of only this method to retrieve data. Unfortunately, it looks like your data may be lost forever. However, there is another couple of program you could try - "PhotoRec" & "TestDisk". They are more forensic than "Find and Mount" and a bit more complicated to use - unless thy have changed it since I last downloaded a copy. If this wont find it then it will not be available at all.

A final thought though ... have you tried checking for viruses? Some viruses are able to completely hide files when viewing normally. This is very rare, but is a possibility.

If you still cant find your answer, please try reposting (I still havent learned how to redirect questions back to the main queue for general viewing). Use a different title and rephrase it a wee bit.

Please let me know how you get on.