Toshiba laptop won't boot Can I boot with no disk?

Closed
Samanthajo - Feb 15, 2016 at 04:02 PM
kris2340k Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday February 16, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 16, 2016 - Feb 16, 2016 at 12:16 PM
Hello,

my Toshiba laptop won't boot. I turn it on , the Toshiba screen displays briefly, then a black screen saying insert boot disk and press any key. How can I boot w no disk?
Related:

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Feb 15, 2016 at 05:00 PM
I suggest you try to reset to factory settings. If that fails, your hard disk must be fried and must be replaced.
Yes I did that still nothing :( . weird it did the same thing a few days ago and just magically started working again. But now back to square one, thank for the reply
kris2340k Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday February 16, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 16, 2016
Feb 16, 2016 at 12:16 PM
You should try a fresh install of windows, if the install fails or the same issue occurs again then your hard drive has failed and you would need to replace it (its really not that hard)

To fresh install windows you will need to find an ISO file for the correct archiecture (32/x86 or 64) and correct windows version eg windows 7 professional

You then need to either use tools such as imgburn to write the ISO to a disk or rufus to write the ISO to a USB drive.

Then boot from the usb drive (using the boot option on your boot screen, where the boot screen is the first screen you see when powering on)

Follow the instructions to install windows (make sure to use a custom install)

Youtube "Reinstall windows" to get an idea, if you do need to replace the hard drive, many videos are also on youtube for that as well