No bootable device ..insert boot disk and press any key

Closed
Omairyounus Posts 2 Registration date Friday March 11, 2016 Status Member Last seen March 11, 2016 - Mar 11, 2016 at 01:33 AM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Mar 11, 2016 at 06:40 AM
Hi all,

My windows upgraded to win 10 from win 8 which came in my laptop..probelm is my system was very slow i tried to reset system but something happened wrong and i am getting the message " no bootable device --insert boot disk and press any key" .

Only f2 and f12 keys are working..i tried holding zero 0 key and switch on power but hard drive recovery option is not showing as some hours ago it was showing..kindly help me to resolve it..

I am affraid...if my original windows is deleted??

My system image..
Related:

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Mar 11, 2016 at 05:45 AM
Hi Omairyounus,

I hate to be the beare of bad news, but it looks like your hard drive has failed. If you can enter the BIOS screen and see if a hard drive is recognized, then you might have a chance. If it is not recognized then it is possible the power or data cable have become dislodged from the drive. It may be worth checking this - and even swapping the power cable for another one (your power supply will probably have some unused ones, but if not swap it for the one from the DVD drive).

If the drive is detected in BOIS then you might be able to get into the recovery partition, but we would need to know the exact make and model of your machine to help with that. Restoring your machine that way could cause you to lose your data.

The final option is to boot your machine with a live DVD like a Hirens boot disk. This might be able to show you the files you have on your hard drive and allow you to back them up.

The final possibility is that the machine has been encrypted and tols to display this screen on boot so as to stop unauthorized access, but this would be an extremely rare thing to happen and almost certainly not the case. But if you have any friends up for a practical joke and a few hours to play, then its a possibility.

Im afraid, though, that with the history of the slowness, the hard drive recovery now not showing when it did before, and this message on the screen, I fear your drive is dead and you will need a new one and reinstall everything.

Good luck with this. Please do let me know how you get on.
Omairyounus Posts 2 Registration date Friday March 11, 2016 Status Member Last seen March 11, 2016
Mar 11, 2016 at 06:05 AM
I can access bios and can see my hard drive. I also tried to install windows 7 and drive was also shown while installation but due to some other issue its not installed. For your information i reset my laptop 4 days back with not remove my files option after that system was working but it was still slow then yesterday i tried to reset with delete my files option then this problem came.
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Mar 11, 2016 at 06:40 AM
Did you try installing Windows 7 after you reset your PC without removing your files, but before trying to restore your machine back to factory settings? If so, then the Master Boot record could be corrupted, or you might have deleted the recovery partition. If you needed to get back to factory settings, then you would need the recovery DVDs. Hopefully you burned these to DVD already. If not they will be available from your PC manufacturer.

If the above is the case, I would try to reinstall Windows 7 - you obviously have the installation disk or you couldn't have done this before. If you need Windows 10, then this is a free upgrade at the moment for all Windows 7 and Windows 8 machines. You would need to install Windows 7 as a "Custom" install and you will lose any data you already have.

If you need these files, you might be able to save them by using the Hirens DVD I mentioned earlier.

I still feel that the slowness of the machine could be caused by a hard drive failure. When it is all up and running try a hard drive test as soon as possible just to allay my fears.

Good luck. Please let me know how you get on.