When starting your computer system, a 'disk boot failure - insert system disk' error can occur for several reasons, including either hardware or software changes. It is possible to fix the disk boot failure error by restoring the boot sector in the case of corrupt system files. If the disk is damaged, partitioning the disk and reinstalling the operating system will solve the problem.
What does the insert system disc error message mean?
If you see the error message "DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER", "No system disk", it means the computer could not find the operating system and therefore could not boot.
Below are some possible causes and solutions.
This problem can be caused by a faulty setting in your BIOS or UEFI. To resolve this, you should try the following procedure :
- Hold on the power-button for at least 5 seconds in order to power off the computer.
- Power the system back on. When the logo screen is displayed, immediately press the F2 key (or DEL key, or any key to access your specific BIOS).
- Try to navigate through the option to load the default configuration.
- Save your changes (often by pressing F10), and restart the PC.
Disc stuck in the drive
Check to see if this is the case - if so, remove the disc(s) and try again
Incorrect boot sequence
Enter the BIOS setup of your computer and edit the boot sequence so that the computer starts primarily on drive C.
New hard drive installed
If a new hard drive has been installed, this message is quite normal. Insert the installation CD for the operating system you wish to use and then restart the machine, having made sure the CD-ROM is defined in the BIOS setup as first in the boot sequence.
Hard drive unplugged
Open the system unit and check the power cable of the hard drive is properly connected.
How to check for corrupt system files?
It may be that some system files needed to boot the computer have been deleted or damaged or that the boot sector of the disc is damaged.
To find out if this is the case, start the computer with a system disk or CD-ROM installation of your operating system (via the Recovery Console), and type "Dir C:" to check if the contents of the C drive are accessible. If they are accessible, the problem comes from missing or damaged files and you need to run the command:
fdisk /mbr sys c:
Note: Before restoring the boot sector with the command fdisk / mbr, it is recommended to use an antivirus running under DOS, such as f-prot. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/166454
If the hard disk or a partition is damaged:
- If it is detected in the BIOS setup, there is a chance that it can be recovered
- If so, try reinstalling the system through the installation CD, in order to reformat or recover the partition using a utility
- Disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter > Guide
- Disk Boot Failure Please insert system disk [solved] > Forum - Hard Drive/SSD
- Cannot change the boot priority settings > Forum - Windows
- Unable to run an online based application > Forum - Windows
- How can i get a toshiba recovery CD [solved] > Forum - Recovery software
- How to save ping report in text file?
- Fix the Windows security bug: Print Nightmare
- Clear RAM on Windows: via cmd, shortcut, without rebooting
- Turn off automatic updates on Windows: 7, 8, and 10
- Enable/Disable device via command line
- Disable password at login: On Windows 7/8.1/10
- Execute a script in Windows: at startup and shutdown
- How to check power usage on Windows PC?
- Install apps on Windows 10: via Run, without Microsoft store
- Network PC asking for username and password: Windows 10
- How to enable the screen reader: on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10
- How to open MSI file: on Mac, in Android, in Windows 10
- Stop CMD from closing: automatically, after running program
- How to create an icon in Paint
- Enable or disable the welcome screen: Windows 7, 8, 10, 11
- Java update tab missing: Windows 10
- How to use TV as second monitor: with HDMI, Windows 10
- Disable right click: Windows 10, Windows 11
- Most common Windows error codes and how to fix them
- Set up your MagicJack: On Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP
- How to check software installed date in Windows
- How to eject USB flash drive with a keyboard shortcut?
- Removing the files remaining after uninstalling a program
- Computer error codes list and solutions
- Stay online when switching user account: Windows
- Exe files not opening: Windows 7, Windows 10, Vista, XP
- Start/Stop a Service on Windows: command line, 10
- How to create an Autorun.inf file: in Windows 7
- Restart Windows without restarting computer: Windows 10
- How to rip copy protected CD: Windows Media Player
- How to clear recent files: Windows 11,10,8.1
- How to disable network sharing on Windows Media Player?
- How to rotate multiple images: at once, Windows 10
- Disable Deepfreeze: from Command Prompt, without password
- ipconfig command: in Windows, not found
- How to check laptop battery health: Windows 8, 10
- Md5sum download and how to use
- How to enable/disable administrator account in Windows?
- How to know if you need more RAM on Windows 10?
- Windows task manager missing menus and tabs
- Reset PC to factory settings: Windows 11, 10, 8.1
- Disable the Touchpad when mouse is connected: Windows 11, 10
- How to set Command Prompt size: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8, 7
- Disable Windows Store: gpo, registry
- How to change the date and time: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- How to enable touchpad: Windows 10, on laptop
- Restore a Windows PC to factory settings without disc
- Recover deleted music files in Windows Media Player
- How to uninstall apps on Microsoft Surface
- How to stop my Windows background from changing?
- How to fix Limited or No Connectivity issues on Windows?
- How to change account name in Windows 8.1
- Disable print spooler: on Windows 7, 10, 11
- USB hard drive not showing up: Windows
- How to turn off airplane mode: Windows 11,10,8.1,8
- How to stop automatic restart: Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, XP
- Kernel Stack Inpage Error on Windows: how to fix?
- How to disable network access to Windows registry?
- Windows volume icon: not working, not showing
- How to start system restore from command line in Windows
- How to disable or enable the Encrypting File System: Windows
- How to show the preview pane: Windows 11, 10, 8, 7
- How to add the Run command to Start menu: Windows 11,10,8.1
- Start Windows computer in safe mode: via cmd, settings
- How to fix HDMI audio from laptop to TV: Windows 11,10,8,7
- How to check the Windows version: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- Improve your PC performance: for gaming, without formatting
- How to verify Windows license
- How to create desktop shortcuts: Windows 11,10,8,7
- Unable to install .NET Framework Error Message 0xc8000222
- Disable print spooler service: in domaine controllers
- How to change the default OS in dual boot: Windows 11,10,8,7
- How to allow or block access to Microsoft Store in Windows
- Disable touchpad: when mouse is connected, Windows 10
- How to disable or enable Autoplay: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- How to recover your Windows password with Lazesoft?
- How to share files between two Windows PCs?
- Best apps to update your Windows drivers
- How to fix a blue screen on Windows
- How to turn off the camera on Windows
- How to create a Resource Monitor shortcut: Windows 10, 8, 7
- How to defragment: Windows 11, 10, 8.1
- Windows CLIP command
- Enable admin account in Windows 7, 8, 10
- Enable automatic sign-in: on Windows 10, 8, 7
- How to backup Windows data: with .bat
- How to fix a Windows Update failure
- How to open the Control Panel: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- Safely Remove Hardware icon missing in Windows
- Security settings do not allow this file to be dowloaded
- How to delete the MSOCache?
- How to fix missing Hal DLL in Windows