-
Registration date
Wednesday October 8, 2008
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
-
Hello, MyDell Inspiron E1505 won't boot up. Power is on, but I get a blank screen

1 reply

Registration date
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
A hardware error is probably the root cause of your problem.

Most laptop problems are solved by replacing the motherboard. But, that probably would not be cost efficient on an OLD computer.

You hard disk might contain data that you can use if you buy a USB drive enclosure to convert it to an external drive.

Good Luck
Registration date
Tuesday April 26, 2016
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2016

Thanks, I appreciate your help but just assume I am a computer moron. I have a Mac now but I have some old photographs on the dell I'd like to recover. I tried the unplug remove battery hold the power button down for thirty replace battery plug in power boot up (suggested by someone else on this forum) and it worked to run one recovery program and then died again. I have an exterior hard drive but if I can't get the dell to boot up it's useless, right? What's a USB drive enclosure? Again, thanks for your comment.
Registration date
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
1,899 >
Registration date
Tuesday April 26, 2016
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2016

They make a small box with the electronics to convert a laptop drive into an external USB drive. Just remove the drive (also remove any adapters) and plug the drive into the box. You can find them on Amazon fo less than $20. Early PC drives have a IDE plug (a 1 inch plus cable) while later (perhaps the last 8 or 10 years) Laptops have a SATA plug.

This works for PCs but a MAC only reads PC drives formatted to FAT specifications. The later WIN XP hard drives are formatted in NTSF. So you would need a Windows PC to recover the data.

I hope this helps