Samsung 500GB showing local disk when connected

Closed
foobaj Posts 5 Registration date Wednesday May 11, 2016 Status Member Last seen May 13, 2016 - May 11, 2016 at 09:17 AM
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   - May 17, 2016 at 08:35 AM
Hi, please i need your help in getting my samsung 500gb hdd back to use, it just suddenly started displaying as a local disk and tells me drive is not accessible each time I connect it to my laptop or any other laptop. I am scared to lose all my files, please kindly advice me on what to do to get my hdd functioning again.

Thank you for a quick response
Related:

5 responses

Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
May 12, 2016 at 03:02 AM
Hey there, foobaj.

First you should try accessing the drive under Safe Mode, to see if you'd be able to get to your data so that you can back it up. Another option would be to try the drive with a different USB cable and a different computer, just to see if the same thing happens. If that doesn't help, you could try this out:

1 Right click on the drive. Choose Properties.
2 Click on the Security
3 Click on the button Advanced.
4 Under the permissions tam, click on the button Edit.
8 Give full control (for each permission do that via the "edit" button), and check the box Only apply these permissions to objects and/or containers within this container only.
9 Click on OK to close on the dialogs.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD
foobaj Posts 5 Registration date Wednesday May 11, 2016 Status Member Last seen May 13, 2016
May 12, 2016 at 06:44 AM
Hi Boogieman_WD

I appreciate your timely response, the safe mode and use of another USB cable did not work, and i also tried the other option of right clicking to choose properties but there was no security option for me to click on the pop up box. below is what I got

Kindly help get another alternative to the problem

Gracias
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
May 12, 2016 at 07:48 AM
Things do not look really good. It shows that the drive has no capacity. Would you please post a screenshot of what you see in Disk Management about this HDD? Here's how to open it: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=y37jUo

You might have to give data recovery software a try, but let me check out the screenshot first.
foobaj Posts 5 Registration date Wednesday May 11, 2016 Status Member Last seen May 13, 2016
May 12, 2016 at 08:01 AM
Here is disk management screenshot

I would not mind a recovery process actually, if its going to be my last resort. I just pray to have my files back. Thanks for your help so far.
May 12, 2016 at 09:04 AM
Well it looks like the file system of the partition has become RAW for some reason and thus your OS (operating system) can't read its content. That's why you can't see your drive. The reasons for the file system to become RAW are numerous, it could have been caused by a virus, the drive might be having issues (physical damage of some sort), corrupted data, etc.

Hopefully the drive is OK. You can try accessing it via Ubuntu Live USB/DVD (this is a freeware, bootable, portable version of Linux), to see if it recognizes the drive properly and if you're able to get to your files. Another option (as already mentioned) would be to go for data recovery software. And last, but not least, if all else fails, you can try a professional solution, such as a data recovery company.

Good luck! Please keep me updated.
May 12, 2016 at 09:44 AM
Is there a windows version of Ubuntu live USB/DVD that i can download because my laptop runs on windows or better still can you suggest a good recovery software for me that will help get my files back.

Thank you

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
May 13, 2016 at 05:51 AM
Hi Boogieman_WD

I am trying to use Data Rescue Pc3 software to do the recovery, don't know if you have any advice on how best i should do the recovery.

Thank you
May 17, 2016 at 08:35 AM
Sorry for the late reply. The idea is to use a different OS, to see if it's able to recognize the drive's partitions properly, since you clearly have no luck with Windows. I can post the tutorial on how to create a bootable Ubuntu flash drive, to see if you'd be able to recognize the drive by booting to Ubuntu Live. Here's how to create a bootable flash drive: https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows and where to download it from: https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

As for that specific program, I'm sorry but I can't really be of much help regarding 3rd party software. However, I can post an article with suggestions for more data recovery software options: https://www.lifewire.com/free-data-recovery-software-tools-2622893 (hopefully this link does not violate the community's rules, but please correct me if I'm wrong).