New hard drive, no monitor, no boot up

Closed
Deb - May 19, 2016 at 02:11 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - May 20, 2016 at 03:41 AM
I have a HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1414 that is almost 2.5years old. A couple of months ago, I got a tragic virus on my computer and before I could get it cleared, I got the blue screen of death, then nothing when I turned it on.

I replaced the hard drive and turned it on. It beeped a few times and because I was surprised, I forgot to count. SO, I powered it down, then pressed the power button again to count the beeps. NO BEEPS, nothing on the monitor screen, however, the fan runs on the CPU.

I've checked the monitor and it is fine, I've taken out the CMOS battery and reset the CMOS, and I've unplugged, removed and reinstalled the new hard drive. I followed a video where I removed the RAM and then powered it up. At that point there were 5 shorter beeps that kept recurring.

What does that mean? Anyone have any ideas? THANKS!
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
May 20, 2016 at 03:41 AM
Hi Deb,

You have done pretty good job trying to resolve the issue. First of all, I would say that your old hard drive may be in good condition because the PC seems to have another hardware problem. The blues screen may be provoked by many reasons, including motherboard failure or RAM memory failure. Is the PC using two sticks of RAM? Try running with just one. If the fans are running after you press the power button, there may be a motherboard issue because no energy can supply other hardware components. Another option is having a failing PSU which may supply with enough energy to run the fans but not enough to run the whole PC. You need some professional examination to confirm the cause of the problem. I would seek some advices from a technician.

Hope this helps