After upgrading to w10 my computer is a boat anchor

Closed
memmons9 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday May 19, 2016 Status Member Last seen May 20, 2016 - May 19, 2016 at 07:14 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - May 20, 2016 at 01:15 PM
I have a laptop (Toshiba) and a desktop (HP). I upgraded to W10 on my laptop and had no problems for a couple days and then a overnight forced update made some of the new functions not work anymore. I used GeekstoGo to clear up some other issues and the lost w10 functions returned. Weird. I resisted upgrading to W10 on my Desktop until around Dec 2015. I responded to a post asking if I wanted to load W10. I thought it was time so I started the process. I just let it go and went about my day. When I came back to check on the progress, I discovered a black screen. I pressed and held the power button and started the computer again. There were none of the usual whirs and clicks. The computer fan came on and that was it. The screen was black. I repeated the process several times with the same results. I went south for the winter and when I returned I turned the computer on and lo and behold it booted up and apparently started working on the W10 upgrade again. I watched it finish and the screen was just like before the upgrade. Great. I let it run like I always do and the next day the screen was black again and it won't start, just like last winter. Any thoughts.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 19, 2016 at 07:03 PM
Perhaps the CMOS battery needs to be replaced. It's probably a 2032 button battery. They can go bad when the computer is unplugged for months at a time.
memmons9 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday May 19, 2016 Status Member Last seen May 20, 2016
May 20, 2016 at 08:03 AM
That's a good thought and I will replace the battery today. But the computer went black last December before it sat for three months and then worked fine for a day when I got back the 1st of April before going black again.
I replaced the CMOS battery and it was a CR2032 battery. I pressed the power button and it started to boot. The Blue Window and the circling dots were on the screen for a while and then the screen went black again. It is making some clicking noise that I assume means the computer is working on something. I'll come back later and see if it is working.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826 > memmons9
May 20, 2016 at 01:15 PM
clicking noise probably indicate a failing hard disk. You will need to buy a new disk and a retail copy of Win 10. Probably cheaper to buy a new computer.

Good Luck