My WD hard is not showing on my laptop

Closed
alex - Oct 21, 2016 at 08:21 PM
jamfah_45 Posts 4 Registration date Monday October 17, 2016 Status Member Last seen November 10, 2016 - Oct 24, 2016 at 11:59 PM
Hello,

This is the second time i make a mistake on my hard drive.. pls help me out.. my WD hard drive doesnt show any of the data or icon to click on when i plug it in my laptop.. i already try it on the other device but still no detection on the hard drive.. pls tell me how to fix it. I did try to uninstall it but nothing happen.
Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 22, 2016 at 07:37 PM
It's possible the drive is beyond repair. But, you could try using a Linux computer (Linux will sometimes open a disk that Windows can't). you should also try a different cable in case the cable has failed.

Good Luck
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Oct 24, 2016 at 03:20 AM
Hi Alex,

Could you please give us some more details about the mistake you are talking about? Trying on another PC was a great idea. Please check if the drive is visible in Disk Management with a correct file format. If the drive is not listed there, run the Command Prompt as an Administrator. Type the following commands:
Diskpart
List disk

Is the drive listed there? If the drive is missing, unfortunately there may be a connectivity problem. When you connect the external, do you hear the USB connecting noise? Can you feel the drive vibrating? If you have important data stored on the drive, try using a data recovery tool and try to save the most important files. If you have stored valuable personal data, search for a data recovery company because if the drive has a mechanical issue, trying to recover the files by yourself may damage it even further.
If data is not important and you want to try to make the device work, test it on a Linux PC. As xpcman said sometimes Unix based systems show better results when it comes to recognizing drives.
Furthermore, once the data is backed up, test the drive´s condition, using Data Lifeguard Diagnostic. I leave you a download link
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=58ed5m
Let me know if there is progress!

Hope this helps

jamfah_45 Posts 4 Registration date Monday October 17, 2016 Status Member Last seen November 10, 2016 1
Oct 24, 2016 at 11:59 PM
Sometimes hardware issues occur. So unplug the drive from your USB port and plug it into another USB port. If it is working fine, then must be you have dead usb ports. If not, it may be driver problem in your Windows operating system.

Use following steps to detect it:

Open Run command, type “devmgmt.msc” > and press enter. Check for yellow exclamation mark on devices. If you find it (yellow exclamation mark) then surely it is a driver problem. Right click on yellow exclamation mark and look for error message there.