Computer recognizes USB but not external hard drive

Closed
jagger.rocks Posts 1 Registration date Friday October 21, 2016 Status Member Last seen October 21, 2016 - Oct 21, 2016 at 12:00 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Oct 26, 2016 at 06:22 AM
My computer recognizes my USB stick and works fine, but when I put in my external hard drive it doesn't recognize it, but it is listed in Device Manager.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 21, 2016 at 12:31 PM
I suggest you test the drive on another computer. If you get the same problem then your hard drive has probably failed and needs to be replaced.

Good Luck
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Oct 24, 2016 at 03:55 AM
Hi Jagger rocks,

As xpcman suggested, test the drive on another PC and with another USB cable. If the problem persists, open Disk Management and check if the drive is listed with correct file format. Do you have important files on the drive? If you do, try to recover them using a data recovery tool. I leave you some software suggestions in the link below:
https://ccm.net/downloads/tools/file-management/
Once all important data is backed up, format the drive and try to access it. If the drive is not listed in Disk Management, try formatting in using Command Prompt. Type the following commands:
Diskpart
List disk
Select disk n (n must be the number of the drive)
Clean
Format fs=NTFS label= Drive quick
Assign letter L (o any letter you like and is not in use)
Exit

Open Disk Management and check if the drive is listed there.

Hope this helps

The external hard drive works on every other computer I"ve plugged it into. Same with my IPhone. It is listed in the Device Manager, but Itunes isn't recognizing it. But Again, any other computer I plug it into works fine. My USB stick works fine and I can retrieve my files.
This is a brand new computer.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > Tracy
Oct 26, 2016 at 06:22 AM
So the hard drive is recognized in Device Manager, but not in Disk Management and My Computer, right? Open Device Manager and uninstall the drive. Restart the PC and plug the drive back in. I would suggest you to open your motherboard manufacturer’s web page and search for the USB drivers. Download the updated version and install it. Check again if the devices are recognized.