The sound is coming out the speakers when I plug the headphones

Closed
lolacocacola - Oct 30, 2016 at 09:26 PM
kmi187 Posts 29 Registration date Saturday August 20, 2016 Status Member Last seen October 30, 2019 - Oct 31, 2016 at 06:03 AM
Hello,

My toshiba satellite C50 does not seem to be recognizing the headphones when I plug them in. I have tried different headphones and nothing happens, the sound comes out the speakers. The headphones do not appear on the playback part of the laptop. I have read different posts where people talk about this issue but everything seemed too complicated

Can somebody help me and tell me an easy way to fix this? I am not an IT expert and at the moment I cannot format my laptop.

Thank you very much,

Lola

Related:

1 response

kmi187 Posts 29 Registration date Saturday August 20, 2016 Status Member Last seen October 30, 2019 2
Oct 31, 2016 at 06:03 AM
Hi Lola,

How do you connect the headphones? 3.5mm headphone plug, or via USB?

3.5mm should switch to headphones automatically but doesn't all the time. USB headphones, pretty much the same :)

Either way, plug in your headphones.

Then on the lower right corner of your screen, where you see the clock, that is your traybar. In that traybar should be an icon that resembles a speaker symbol.

Right click on that icon and select "playback devices". A list will pop up with all the devices connected to your pc that support playback of audio.

Scroll through this list, one should have a green "v" symbol behind it. This is the one that is currently set as default. If you are about to make changes, remember which device this is, you may have to set it back to this at another time if you want your pc speakers to work.

Now scroll through this list and see if you can find something (brand model name) that you know are your headphones. If there is nothing in the list, chances are your device is not recognised properly. But if there is, select this device, click the right mouse button for the menu, and select "set as default device".

Your headphones should now be set as default device ... do they work now?

If they do, great, remember that it could be you have to do this and put it back to your soundcard before sound will come through the speakers again instead of the headphones.

If they don't you may have an issue somewhere else.

Best of luck,

Kmi187