My DELL Vostro doesn't boot

Closed
Piyush - Oct 31, 2016 at 01:38 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Oct 31, 2016 at 06:44 AM
Hello,
I have been working on this lappy since 2-3 years.....But these days every time I press the power button on, it shows the Dell screen and stops ..........after some time it loads and shows an command prompt-like algorithmic long text which doesn't stop
I have to press power button again and again to switch off and on......after many times doing it, it starts....It frustates me
Please help
Related:

2 responses

kmi187 Posts 29 Registration date Saturday August 20, 2016 Status Member Last seen October 30, 2019 2
Oct 31, 2016 at 05:54 AM
Hi Piyush,

Without seeing the message it's a bit unclear what could be the cause. I'm guessing that due to the frequent abrupt reboots, certain files may have become corrupted.

I would do the following :

1. Boot to the desktop.
2. Click my computer
3. right click on the c drive and select properties
4. Select the tab tools
5. under "error checking" press the button check, give administrator rights if asked.
6. Scan drive, if it finds any issues, let it fix them.
7. next open up a command prompt in administrator mode (google if you don't know how)
8. in the elevated (admin) prompt, type the following without quotes "sfc /scannow"

Let the scan complete and report back what the message says after completing.

It will either be, no errors found, in which case you are good on this front. Or it could be that it found errors, but fixed them all. You are also good in this case. But it can also be it says, found errors, but unable to fix some of them. Then you will need to take some more steps to make sure your core system files have no issues.

Best of luck,

kmi187
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Oct 31, 2016 at 06:44 AM
Hi Piyush,

Are you able to access the BIOS menu and navigate normally in it? If you are, the issue may be Windows related. If your OS cannot boot normally, something similar may happen. I strongly recommend you to use a Windows installation drive and boot from it. Select the Repair option. It may fix some startup issues without touching your data.
Open your laptop’s manual and search for some reset to defaults button combination or a factory restore menu. Have in mind that using this option may harm all stored data.

Hope this helps