Hard Drive Not recognised

Closed
Sherry - Nov 21, 2016 at 09:59 AM
nathanwirth Posts 324 Registration date Thursday May 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2022 - Nov 28, 2016 at 03:29 AM
Hello,

I have a 320GB external HD. The problem is when i now connect my HD it does not show up in Win Explorer. I have tried different softwares and was able to open the HD in Explorer with one but copying from HD to my laptop is very slow even with Tera Copy. I checked Diskmanagement and it shows there as Unformatted Healthy partiton but when i do checkdisk it shows raw drive cannot be checked.Then i tried to convert FAT32 to NTFS but after running the process for whole night i got to just 2%. So was not successful in that. Now i am not sure what should i do next.
Related:

2 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Nov 22, 2016 at 02:29 AM
Hi Sherry,

I strongly recommend you to check the drive on another PC and with another USB cable. If the issue persists, you should download the drive manufacturer’s diagnostics tool and check the drive for errors. Unfortunately it is highly possible that there is a problem with your drive and that is what causes performance issues. You have tried some useful troubleshooting steps but, sadly, if the drive is damaged, there is not much to do. I presume you have no important data on it, right?

Hope this helps

nathanwirth Posts 324 Registration date Thursday May 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2022 28
Nov 28, 2016 at 03:29 AM
I believe making changes into the file system of a RAW hard drive will makes the situation more worst. I would suggest you to first run the data recovery software to recover your data from the RAW hard drive and then format it for reuse. Thanks!!