How to restore laptop with recovery disk

Closed
Ddsqueeze Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday December 14, 2016 Status Member Last seen December 14, 2016 - Updated by Ambucias on 14/12/16 at 04:07 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Dec 14, 2016 at 04:43 PM
My teenage son was using my lenovo l420 thinkpad laptop until he could purchase his own, before returning he did a factory reset without backing it up. Needless to say somewhere in the process something went wrong. I was given a laptop that now goes from the lenovo logo screen to a blank screen with a blinking cursor. I have a restore and recovery disc how do I install it? Sorry not very computer suave. Any help would be wonderful! Oh this may be an important piece of info. He said it said the is didn't load I believe
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 14, 2016 at 04:43 PM
Place the disc in the drive and turn on the PC. As soon as it turns on tap the F12 key to get into boot options.

Once your there using the keyboard arrows move over to the startup tab. Then press down on the arrows to highlight Boot and hit enter.

Make sure that CD-ROM is first. If you have to change it, the menu at the bottom will tell you how to. Usually highlight the CD-Rom and press the + symbol on the keyboard will move it on the list.

ThinkPad Setup

When done hit ESC button then Yes to save settings. The PC should boot into the disc and ask you to press any button to boot into it, do so.

Click Next to Continue booting.

Click Install Now on the "Install Windows" screen.

In the "License Terms" window, carefully read the license terms. These license terms are very important for Windows 7. Contact Microsoft to clarify any questions or issues. If you agree, click I accept the license terms and then click Next to continue.

Note: You must agree to the license terms to install Windows 7.

Click Custom install of Windows 7

Click drive options to format / partition the hard disk drive. Delete the OS drive then Click next to select it and continue with install.

Click Next to begin file copy.