USB connects but won't read

Closed
gtjfakds - Dec 26, 2016 at 07:34 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Dec 27, 2016 at 04:12 AM
Hello,

I've got a USB stick with some information on it. It's nothing important but I'd like to use the USB stick. When I connect it to my PC I hear the sound that it has connected and even the PC recognizes it has connected. However, no removable disc appears in My Computer menu. I believe there is a problem from the inside (a wire has snapped or sth). In that case would opening and wielding the broken parts together fix the problem, or would I need to find a new USB stick.
Related:

3 responses

Tabeer Posts 63 Registration date Thursday December 3, 2015 Status Member Last seen December 26, 2016 23
Dec 26, 2016 at 09:30 AM
Try reinstalling the USB port drivers. Here's how:

Just to be safe, create a restore point. In the Start menu's Search field, or in Windows 8's Search charm, type restore point, and select Create a restore point. Click the Create button and follow the prompts. Don't continue until the restore point has been created.
Close all running programs.
Open Device Manager. In the Start menu's Search field, or in Windows 8's Search charm, type device, and select Device Manager.
Once in Device Manager, go to the Universal Serial Bus controllers section.
Right-click the first listing and select Uninstall. Repeat for all of the others.
0915 device manager
When you're done, reboot. Windows will automatically reinstall the drivers.
Warning: If you're using an external keyboard and mouse, uninstalling one of the USB devices may effectively freeze your PC. If this happens, manually reboot the PC and everything will be okay.
Thanks for the help but it's not that. I reinstalled the drivers and nothing changed. I believe there's a hardware problem with the USB stick itself because I tried putting it on a car audio transmitter and it wouldn't work.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Dec 27, 2016 at 04:12 AM
Hi gtjfakds,

The best thing to do is to test the stick on another PC. Open Disk Manager and check if the pendrive is recognized. Reinstalling the drivers was a good idea, but unfortunately there may be an issue with the drive. If the same issue appears even on another PC, I would recommend you to replace the USB stick. Unfortunately, those drives cannot be repaired and is recommended to replace them if you have no important data stored inside.

Hope this helps