Lost "Repair My Computer" Option in Boot

Closed
TSBoy - May 12, 2009 at 05:28 AM
 ThE REAL LoRd NiKoN - Sep 16, 2010 at 11:41 PM
Hello,

I have a one month old Toshiba Satellite. It turned out that a Service or Startup kept making my system "Hang" at my Vista Welcome Screen or I was only able to get to the desktop before it would freeze and the wheel kept spinning, and a stupid Toshiba rep never gave me this option to stop service or disable programs until I did it myself! Anyway I fixed it by going to MSCONFIG and disabling all STARTUP programs (yes all) and Stopping three Symantec related SERVICES.

Here is the issue now.... Up until yesterday (before I was able to MSCONFIG myself out of the whole mess), upon pressing F8 repeatedly I was always able to get to the "Advanced Boot Option", which till then also gave me the option to "Repair My Computer" and hence Run Recovery Options and other Restore options etc. etc., That first "Repair My Computer" option has NOW mysteriously dissappeared from the F8 Advanced Boot Menu and I cannot get to the option to "Reset to Factory Settings" or any of those other options there. When I called Toshiba again to ask them where the option went they told me since there is nothing wrong with the computer anymore, I will not be offered that option until the next time something goes wrong. :/?

I hate to say is but there seems something strangely inaccurate with that statement. Nowhere in the Windows Help does it say that the the Repair My Computer Options would not come up during "Peacetime." Windows Help says if you it came installed on your computer you can get to it by pressing F8. Can someone clarify whether what this rep told me is true? I don't think my Boot partition is damaged. I could swear I saw some other Options there in the "Repair My Computer" menu which could also apply during "Peacetime" or hold true during an otherwise "trouble-free" time.
Is there another way for me to bring up this Repair Utility? (Pressing 0 / Zero or "C" didn't work either since I tried with the rep and we couldn't find it in Setup Utility or by pressing F11)

[In addition I am unable to System Restore to any point before this whole mess to see if that brings it up but that is another story]

My system crashed again today and I was not given the option to "Repair My System" by pressing F8 on startup.
The only options I got are
-Safe mode
-Safe mode with networking
-Start normally
-Enable bootlogging
-Disable Driver signup
-something about VGA Resolution
-and a couple of other gobbledy-gunks but no "Repair My Computer" option. That used to be the first one at the top on this list.

Since I am now back in my computer I am able to use the Toshiba Utility "Recovery Disc Creator" on 3 DVDs so that is not the problem; I'm just trying to figure out why I can't get to the Pre-installed Recovery Options on my computer anymore.

Again this is a new issue. Ever since my computer is up and running again, for some reason I cannot find the "Repair My Computer" option on the Advanced Boot Menu - it doesn't show at all while all the other options still do. The tech said since there is nothing to fix it won't show until next time it goes down (which actually it did again today but that option no longer came up). somethings definitely wrong..
I'm going to try to burn the disc today and see if its successful. Any pointers would be very very welcome as I am at wits end considering the computer is only a month old
Is it possible that like the suggestion if my partition is corrupted I wouldn't be able to burn the DVD? That's also what the rep said but I did it today and was able to burn them. Is this the same disc as the one recommended on the NeoSmart website??

I did it today but I'm glad someone mentioned that when burning the recovery DVD one should pick the ability to restore partition if presented with the opportunity...I certainly would if it had asked me!! It never asked me

I should add that I checked the system with all kinds of Anti-Virus software AVG and Spybot Search and Destroy and also cleaned the registry with Registry Mechanic. All to no avail.
Related:

2 responses

netgear3 Posts 11 Registration date Thursday October 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 12, 2009 1
May 12, 2009 at 07:22 AM
hi,
use the Windows Installation CD to repair your windows.
ThE REAL LoRd NiKoN
Sep 16, 2010 at 11:41 PM
Nevermind.. I thought that said "redo your".. I'm tired.. Peace..
ThE REAL LoRd NiKoN
Sep 16, 2010 at 11:29 PM
I have a Toshiba Satellite with Win7 on it. When you made the 3 DVDs it should have automatically put the option in for restoring.

When you start up, you should have the DVD labeled something similar to "Toshiba Recovery Disc 1" (this is NOT the apps and drivers disc) in the drive, and it will boot to a menu with 2 options. The first being Toshiba Factory Restore (you don't have to do this for this problem), the 2nd is something having to do with the Vista/7 restore tools.

SELECT THIS OPTION.

It will bring you to another menu with keyboard preference - select the keyboard appropriate to you, and click next. The next menu either will be a bunch of options, or the startup and repair wizard will start - with either one, it's the top-most option on the list. If it's the previous menu, select Startup Repair, and it will bring you to the same place..

WALA! The startup and repair wizard! lol This will walk you through the steps to use it to fix ALMOST any startup problems (some are too complicated to talk about simply). If it's a simple fix, it will almost immediately come up with an option to 'repair and restart' - I think it's kind of obvious what to select as the other one says 'cancel'. If that's the case, it should almost immediately reboot once you press that button, and after restarting, what appears back in your F8 menu? You guessed it, your beloved (and mine) "Repair My Computer" option! If, however, it starts scanning after you hit that button (repair and reboot), and seems like it's taking a while, it may or may not fix it. It's kind of hit or miss at that point, and I never quite understood why, but believe me, LET IT FINISH! Go watch a movie, or fix lunch, or something, as this WILL take a WHILE.. BUT let it finish, because more often than not, it will hit, and fix whatever prevented your computer from booting, and more often than not, also put that option back in the F8 menu.

Hope that helps!

~*ThE REAL LoRd NiKoN*~