Index & match

Closed
whatsit - Feb 10, 2017 at 01:30 AM
 whatsit - Feb 20, 2017 at 11:55 PM
Hello,
I would appreciate help on the following:-
I have 2 excel sheets both set out as Tables (Table 2 and Table 3). Table 2 has 4 columns A B C D and Table 3 has 2 columns B and C.
The data in column A and C of Table 2 is static. The data in columns B and D varies through in on another cell in another Sheet 3. The data in column B of Table 3 is static and in column C of Table 3 the data varies according to the input on the cell mentioned above in Sheet 3.
So, Column A in Table 2 is the same data as in column C of Table 3 but column C is set out in a different order. Column D in Table 2 is the same data as in column B of Table 3 but is set out in a different order. What I would like is a formula that would automatically update Column C in Table 3 when the data in the cell on Sheet 3 is altered. I think this can be done by INDEX and MATCH. But do not know how.
I hope I have set out the problem clearly enough.
Thank you in anticipation of your help.

13 responses

Mazzaropi Posts 1985 Registration date Monday August 16, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 24, 2023 147
Feb 13, 2017 at 02:26 PM
whatsit, Good afternoon.

vcoolio, thanks for the comments.
Of course they are exaggerated. I'm just someone who strives to learn more and be able to help when the opportunity comes.

I've encountered the same problem at Speedy Share that you two.

whatsit, you can use:
ge.tt
DproBox
www.sendspace.com

When using free web site you need to get the link from the file that was recorded so you can pass it on to people.

The link is at the top of the screen when you save the file and it looks like this:http://ge.tt/762PPni2

I'm waiting for the link to verify your file.
If you were to post what you have, we could help. We don't provide turn key solutions. Post back if you get stuck ON YOUR OWN code, and we can help.

I have poured time and effort into a solution, only to have the OP say "it doesn't work!" Then, find out that they left out 50% of the problem!
It's kind of fun to do the impossible! -Walter Elias Disney
Hello
Thank you for your response. Please tell me to which website I should upload my data for you to look at. I appreciate your help.
Mazzaropi Posts 1985 Registration date Monday August 16, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 24, 2023 147
Feb 12, 2017 at 08:33 AM
whatsit, Good morning.

You can save your file at any free site.

Try to use www.speedyshare.com and put a link to download here.
It's very simple to use it.

I hope it helps.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Hello Mazzaropi
Thank you for your response. I have tried accessing speedyshare.com but am unable to get to it. All sorts of interference from other websites is coming so perhaps there is a virus on it? If you know of a more secure site please let me know and I will upload the data there. Thank you.
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259
Feb 13, 2017 at 04:13 AM
Hello Whatsit,

I've encountered the same problem at Speedy Share so try:-

ge.tt

or

DropBox

Our formula genius Mazzaropi should be able to help you thereafter.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
Thank you vcoolio. Your help is appreciated. Data now uploaded to GE.TT under ' INDEX and Match'- BAM Travelers(all)2. I hope this is sufficient info.
A few words of explanation of the Data which has been uploaded . Columns A & C in Table 2 are fixed. Column B is variable. In Table 3 Columns A and B are fixed with column C being variable. Cell K1on Table 2 is a variable number (range 12 to 31) which controls both these variable columns. I wish to have a formula which will automatically update Column C (table 3) when the number in cell K1 is altered. If you require further information please let me know.
I look forward to the response from Mazzaropi.
Thank you Mazzaropi
The link is ge.tt/7PR77ni2.
Apologies for not putting it before.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Blocked Profile
Feb 14, 2017 at 07:08 PM
Looks like this is going well, thanks Mazzaropi and vcoolio.
Hello Mazzaropi
I would appreciate your letting me know if you managed to get the link to my upload file on ge.tt? Please let me know as I will upload it again if necessary. Thank you
Blocked Profile
Feb 17, 2017 at 09:36 PM
Whatsit....

Why haven't you posted a vanilla posting with your code attached?

Why do we have to chase down a file to HELP you?

Have FUN!
hello ac3mark
My understanding is that both vcoolio and Mazzaropi suggested that I upload my file to ge.tt . This is what I did. I do not have a formula(code). This is what I am looking for help on. I have previously set out what I am trying to do and would appreciate help. After I had posted the file to ge.tt you yourself said "looks like things are going well, thanks to Mazzaropi and vcoolio".
As you suggest, I am having "FUN"!
Feb 20, 2017 at 10:22 AM
whatsit, Good afternoon.

I downloaded your file and read your explanation again.
For me, it is very confusing and difficult to understand your need.

Remember, you have mastered the knowledge of your data and we are only seeing it now for the first time and we are trying to help you in using Excel.

You asked :
"...What I would like is a formula that would automatically update Column C in Table 3 when the data in the cell on Sheet 3 is altered...."

But..... column C of table 3 already changes when cell K1 table 3 is changed.
The cell K1 of table 3 is changed whenever cell K1 of table 2 is changed.

Well, there is something strange in column C of table 3.

You have different types of formulas for the same column with the same data type. This is confusing.

Table 3,
C2: C12 ..... a type of formula;
C13 ........... another type of formula;
C14: C31 ... another type of formula;
C32 ........... plus a different kind of formula.

More different types of formula appear in the lines below.

As you can see, it's a bit tricky for us to understand your need.

IF there is a more direct way for you to explain what you really need, please help us to help you.

There are many people here with good will and willing to solve your question.
I hope you understand.

We look forward to your response, if possible.

Have a nice day!
thank For your response . I appreciate your comments. I will try to work something out which is clearer and get back to you. Please bear with me. Thank you.