PC will boot only after being idle a day

Closed
Estland Posts 2 Registration date Thursday May 21, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 23, 2009 - May 22, 2009 at 03:27 PM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - May 24, 2009 at 08:41 AM
Hello,
As it says PC, which has been working fine for like 1,5 years, will boot up after being idle like for a day, switched off power supply. Otherwise it will not POST or in other words monitor will remain black, but fans, LEDs, lights and noises will come alive of it like electricity is running through.
I put this PC for test in computer shop - without HDDs (two different sata drives) which I kept home to safeguard the data, they say PC booted up and was running fine for them. But I gave it there without SATA drives.

PC will not also boot at my home when I remove HDDs and some other components (DVD rom) and it will produce no beeps in any case.

But if I wait for like a day it will boot and work until switched off again.

Please share if this problem has common solution.

Best regards

Raul,
Estonia
Related:

2 responses

King_Kong Posts 89 Registration date Wednesday May 20, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 28, 2010 16
May 22, 2009 at 04:06 PM
It might be a power supply problem. It could be bad, or not powerful enough, especially running that Geforce 8800 and a quad core cpu. Your PSU might not be able to provide enough power. I had a computer a while back that had a power supply go bad on me, and somtimes it would boot up and the other times it would freeze at the POST. I hope this helps.
Estland Posts 2 Registration date Thursday May 21, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 23, 2009
May 23, 2009 at 01:16 AM
Thank you for your opinion, King Kong. I have there blue storm ii 500 w power supply. I guess I will have to put there even more expensive some 700 w power supply? I just hope it will save the issue.
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
May 24, 2009 at 08:41 AM
you could try a process of elimination.

strip your pc down to just the bare minimum to run. remove all peripherals, hdds etc.

all you need is k/bd, 1 stick of memory, a graphics card (if you have a different one than the one you are using, would be better.)

Boot up PC, it should go thru post on the screen.

next, shut down, fit your hdd. reboot

go thru this process untill the issue manifests itself again. at which point you should be able to identify the offending item.

Also, you need to check your mobo for any signs of capacitor bulging. it seems like when the PC is warm after being on for a while, and you shut it down it won't come back up again untill everything has cooled down.

just a few thoughts to keep you busy.