Unable to install microsft updates [Solved/Closed]

start menu disappearing - Jun 10, 2008 at 03:13 AM - Latest reply:  Muslimman
- May 21, 2013 at 07:07 PM
Hello,

I am unable to install microsoft updates, the error message says "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view" when I click on "latest updates available" option. I ma using Windows XP Professional.

Can anyone email me with any help please and its driving me mad!!!

Thanks

Sammy
See more 

21 replies

Best answer
Thank you
Just go to C:\Windows\System32 and find and register Wups2.dll

To do that, right click on it and select 'Open With' then 'Choose Program' and find C:\Windows\System32\Regsvr32.

If you choose to 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file' then all you will have to do is double click on any .dll to register it.

Thank you, Hammer_Man 61

Something to say? Add comment

CCM has helped 1679 users this month

unable to install windows updating due to refusal for wga lacking
when I want to update Regsvr32 it says to register this module please provide binary number.
can you help ?
worked great, thanks!
This is the only solution that worked, even much better assistance than Microsoft Troubleshooting stories
Bless your soul man :) It works ...
Thank you
I am unable to download windows updates. Can you help me?
Thank you
I would go to install the updates and it would just say fail.
Wouldn't give me any error. Just wouldn't install anything.
I have been manually installing updates. I got a little behind. 30 updates made me search for a solution.

This worked.
This Did Not Work - Feb 10, 2010 at 03:27 PM
Thank you
Everytime I try to follow the in structions, this pops up...

"Cannot import C:\Windows\System32\wups2.dll: The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor."

How do I fix this problem?

Please help.
Re-read the instructions. "Regedit" is the wrong program.
Thank you
Hi,
Thanks very much for your response. I have followed the instructions and registered the wups2.dll file and this worked successfully. Do I have to go and register all the .dll files the same as there are quite a few? I have tried to do the automatic updates after I regestered the wups2.dll file and the same error message is showing and it wont let me update still. I have tried everything and I just dont know what else it can be. Any further help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Sammy
Thank you
Hi, regarding registering wups2.dll, clearly this worked fine for some users in obtaining the latest Windows Update patches, but it did not for me. I found the answer in AutoPatcher. It found, retrieved and installed nearly 30 missing critical patches as well as non-critical stuff.
I am just a reasonably aware user with no connection to AutoPatcher... found the clue on a feed from Lifehacker. Good luck.
Thanks jhsyd for directing to AutoPatcher!!!! Could not register the wups2.dll file either as directed but updating windows finally at this moment!!!!!! Been working on this off/on now for 3 days so thanks for being there for me!
Thank you
words cannot express how happy you just made me so ill use symbols! :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Thank you
THANK YOU !

That for sure wasn't an easy one to figure out...

Worked perfectly, thank you again.
Thank you
HI , This is not working for my PC . My exact problem is not only windows update all the application updates also I am unable to update , unable to browse those sites also. Please check this ?
Thank you
I had a malware problem that stopped me updating windows and stopped me registering avast free which I installed after mcafee let me down. Avast stopped the malware from restarting, the I installed malwarebytes free which deleted it, then I used ccleaner to clean reg ets. instantly my windows update restarted, chuffed I was, only took 10 hours.
Thank you
Cheers - this worked perfectly - should have searched for solution before reloading OS and updates to find same problem
Thank you
It worked for me too thanks alot ! I dont think microsoft have this solution yet !
P
Thank you
Had the same problem and this also worked for me Thanks 10X! I had a virus on here and I think maybe that " unregistered" the dll so I couldnt update the computer. I got the virus off but couldnt figure out how to get the darned thing to update anymore. Following the above directions worked great.