My laptop wont boot!

Closed
alexarenee Posts 1 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 24, 2009 - May 24, 2009 at 09:38 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - May 24, 2009 at 11:59 AM
Hello,
I start my computer, type my password and that all works. Once it loads to the desktop, nothing happens! All i see is my background ,the start menu/task bar and time... there are no icons and ctrl + alt + delete doesn't work! I can't click on the start menu, nothing happens when I do and I need my laptop!
Please help me!!!
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 24, 2009 at 11:59 AM
A program called explorer.exe controls the display of your taskbar and desktop icons. If for some reason it goes missing (you may have killed it using Task Manager, for example, or something more sinister like a virus has deleted it from your processes), then try this first:

1. Open Task Manager (press Ctrl+Alt+Del, then click Task Manager).
2. On the Applications tab, click New Task at the bottom right of the window.
3. Type explorer.exe, then click OK.

If nothing sinister caused it to disappear, it should all come back as it was and you can stop panicking, breathe a sigh of relief, and continue working.

If this doesn’t work, then You have a serious virus infection and may need to reinstall Windows to clear your system out.

Good Luck