Computer turns on and then shuts off after 20-30 seconds

Closed
kaynem Posts 1 Registration date Thursday October 26, 2017 Status Member Last seen October 26, 2017 - Oct 26, 2017 at 07:35 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Oct 26, 2017 at 06:23 PM
I'm totally confused as to what is wrong with my PC. I was on the computer the other day and just like that, it decided to switch off. The first time i tried to power it back on, it ran a disk check (i've posted a screenshot of this in the link below). Now everytime i start it up, it switches on for a moment and then takes me to a screen full of options, i click on 'Start Windows normally' and then it switches back off. I've also clicked on the other options available but that doesn't change anything.

You can hear it power up and load, the monitor shows the 'Dell' sign. So there does seem to be life to it!

Where do i go from here? Do i need to replace a part? Do i give up and buy a new desktop?

If it helps, i've uploaded screenshots of how it looks from start to finish. The first screenshot is of the disk check it ran the first time (not again since). The other screenshots are images of how it looks from the first step to the last: https://imgur.com/a/f3aZ1

Any help would be really appreciated!
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,167
Oct 26, 2017 at 06:23 PM
Hello

You may not need to buy a new desktop, but it all looks like you have a hard disk failure and the disk must be changed.

Time to go to the repair shop.

Sorry about that.