Avoiding some ISP nonsense.. ?

Closed
ISP_suffering - Mar 18, 2021 at 02:05 PM
David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   - Mar 22, 2021 at 05:40 AM
Hello everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read through this.
I have a question regarding a situation that might be a bit weird, so here is the deal:

My ISP wont allow users to connect their own wifi device and I think they are throttling my speed over wifi through the routers settings. I mean the difference when I am connected to the device with a cable and when using the wireless from the same device is huge - over 100mbps.
So my question is: if I connect another wifi device to the current one with a lan cable and use it as my new wifi device will it theoretically work properly?
Related:

1 response

David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,925
Mar 22, 2021 at 05:40 AM
Hello, typically WiFi speeds are considerably lower than directly with a Cable. This is for a number of reasons, for example: Distance from router, amount of devices connected, any obstacles between your device and the signal. Whereas with a cable connection, there isn't the same problems.

And theoretically, yes, you should be able to use a different device. If you have got one accessible to try, or can borrow one from a friend before purchasing your own to make sure it works.

Regards