Autorun.inf Access Denied

Solved/Closed
raine - Jul 5, 2021 at 05:55 PM
HelpiOS Posts 14295 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 14, 2024 - Jul 13, 2021 at 02:26 PM
Hello,

I have a flash drive that has autorun.inf on it, (not really sure why since I didn't actually use it), and when I went through command prompt as administrator, changed it to E:, (which was the USB letter drive), confirmed the virus was in the drive with dir /w/a, and used the del autorun.inf command, all I got was access denied. I've tried a number of different suggestions on how to remove it, but anything involving trying to delete autorun itself gets access denied. How do I get around it?

System Configuration: Windows / Firefox 89.0

2 responses

HelpiOS Posts 14295 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 14, 2024 1,891
Jul 10, 2021 at 05:39 PM
Hi,

Try the command attrib -r -h -s autorun.inf and then use the del autorun.inf command.

If the problem persists, make a copy of your data and format the drive.

Good luck.
Unfortunately that doesn't work either. I type in a command and hit enter and it simply brings up the next line as though I didn't even type anything at all. I don't know what it is about me, but 9/10 times when I try to solve technological issues following steps even a 3rd grader can follow, I have no success. I hit a dead end within literally 1-2 steps that make the attempt a failure. Basically, the standard, simplest solutions will probably not work. I even bought a program called Autorun Virus Remover to remove the file, but all I get when I attempt to use it is I/O error 103. Does it make a difference if I'm using the commands with E: drive instead of C: drive? I don't know why it would, but I can't really think of anything that's different from the normal case.