Yahoo mail username and password recovery

Solved/Closed
gregorystevens Posts 1 Registration date Monday October 24, 2022 Status Member Last seen October 24, 2022 - Updated on Oct 24, 2022 at 02:13 PM
HelpiOS Posts 14319 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 29, 2024 - Oct 24, 2022 at 02:12 PM

Hello,

My uncle who is in his 80s wants to have yahoo email address. He doesn't have a cell phone so can't receive text messages. I suggested to him other email providers that don't require text verification but he wants yahoo mail. I can't use my own cell phone because it's already associated with my own yahoo mail. I have an acquaintance that is willing to let us use his number. But this guy, I don't know, he is kind of shady. Call me paranoid but what if he goes to yahoo and says I forgot my username and password? They will send him a text message to make sure he is the owner and they will give him the username and password?

Windows / Firefox 106.0

Related:

1 response

HelpiOS Posts 14319 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 29, 2024 1,888
Oct 24, 2022 at 02:12 PM

Hi,

With the phone number, it will be possible to retrieve the email address and reset the password, so it is best to use the contact info from someone you trust.

Yahoo will prompt him to confirm the name and surname before sending a code to retrieve the email address. To reset the password, the code will be sent without any verification. Thus, you agree that it is not a strong protection to protect unauthorized access for the number's owner, but of course, it's normal.

The good news is that you can use your own phone number. Even if you already have a Yahoo account, creating another one with the same number is allowed. If you exceed the limit of accounts, you'll get an error "Your mobile number is listed on too many Yahoo accounts".

Good luck