There are several possible situations where you can't sign in to your Yahoo! Account. It can happen because you forgot the password, someone hacked your account or Yahoo! blocked it for safety reasons. In this short article, you will find what went wrong and how to fix it.
How to reset a forgotten password on Yahoo?
It's no big deal if you forget your password. Click on Forgot Password. You will need to enter the code that you will receive via SMS on the phone number you provided when registering this email address. Click on "Send code":
If you do not have access to the phone number that is attached to your account, there is also a way out, although you will have to perform more steps. Click on "I don't have access to this phone":
You will be offered two options: contact the Yahoo customer center by phone or use the free help site:
How to recover a locked Yahoo account?
For security reasons, Yahoo! Mail automatically locks your account if there have been three attempts to log in with an incorrect password. In this case, you will receive a message "messages.ERROR_EXCEEDED_PASSWORD_ATTEMPTS" indicating that you will need to go through the verification process. You will need to enter the code that you will receive via SMS on the phone number you provided when registering this email address. To receive the code, click on the "Send code" button:
Enter the 6-digit code you received and click "Verify":
You can now update your password: enter a new password. After this you will be able to access your mail:
In this case, you can use Sign-Up Helper or wait for 12 hours until the lock is removed.
Is your auto-filling information outdated?
If your browser automatically filled in your passwords on mail services or other systems and you changed it recently, you might experience problems while signing in. Check your browser settings and manually write your password to reset the outdated one.
Are there any additional tips for signing into a Yahoo account?
- When you log in, always make sure that the internet connection is working properly
- Ensure you are using the correct lettering: check if the caps lock or number lock are activated or not as needed.
- Always keep in mind the recovery information such as secret questions, additional email or telephone numbers related to your account because it’s the only possibility to bring back your account
- Use the two-step verification process on your Account Security Page to better secure your account from hackers
- If you change your password always clear caches and cookies from your browser to reset the auto-fill settings and sign-in manually.