This article explains various solutions for recovering access to your Yahoo mail account. To recover a Yahoo account, you simply need to follow a few easy steps which we've listed below.
Use the Sign-in Helper to reset your Yahoo password and regain access to your account. As detailed above, the Yahoo system determines which options to display based on certain factors. Go to the Sign-in Helper. From there, enter your phone number or email address, and click Continue. If prompted, enter the CAPTCHA code.
If you can receive text messages to the number listed, click Yes, text me an Account Key. If you have access to the email address listed, click Yes, send me an Account Key. Depending on the option you've selected, Yahoo will send an Account Key to your phone or email. Enter the Account Key that Yahoo sent in the field provided, then click Verify. Select an account to reset from the list connected to your mobile number or email address, and click Continue.
Partner account recovery method
If you have an email account with Yahoo through one of its partners (Verizon, AT&T, Frontier, Rogers, BT, Sky, Spark, or MTS), the following instructions will help you to change or reset your password.
N.B: Your Yahoo password gives you access to every Yahoo service that you use. You'll need to know your current password in order to change it to something else. If not, you can reset it to start fresh.
To change your password using a mobile web browser, go to the Yahoo Account Info > Menu > Account Security > Change password. Enter and confirm your new password. Then, click Continue. A confirmation will appear. Click Continue to finish.
If when you created your account, you registered secret questions, you will no longer be offered to used them to recover your account. Yahoo no longer uses this as a recovery option. Instead, go to the Password Helper, and enter your email address. If you have a mobile number, listed on your account, the Password Helper will show it. If you don't, click No, I can't receive text. You'll see your alternate email address. If you have access to that email account, click Yes, email me. A "Recover access to your Yahoo account" email will be sent to your alternate email address. Enter the verification code that Yahoo sent you in the email, then click Submit. Enter the code to access your account.
If your attempts to log in are being met with an Invalid ID or Invalid Password error message, this means that you've entered a password and Yahoo ID combination that doesn't match what's on record. If you're sure that you're entering the correct sign-in information, there are a few scenarios as to why this might be happening.
- If your password contains numbers or letters, make sure that your caps lock or number lock keys are activated or deactivated as needed. Case-sensitive passwords are often entered incorrectly due to key stroke sensitivity.
- Take a look at your browser's auto-fill settings. If your browser usually enters your password for you automatically, and you've changed your password recently, you'll need to enter your new password manually to override your browser settings.
- If you're sure that you're entering the correct information, this could be a sign that someone else has accessed your account and changed your password. You should change your password immediately using the Password Helper tool. Once you regain access to your account, review the steps to secure a hacked account to undo any changes made without your knowledge.
Email providers take your account's security very seriously and will only let you reclaim an account if you can prove that you're the rightful owner. When you register for an account, it's up to you to provide the most up-to-date and valid recovery info. Your best option to avoid losing access is to update your recovery info if you get a new phone number or change your alternate email address.
If you've tried using the Password Helper and weren't able to get access to your account, other recovery options may not be available. We know that it can be frustrating to see the failure notice, but in these rare cases, we recommend creating a new Yahoo account.
If you have forgotten your Yahoo ID, head over to the Yahoo Account Recovery Wizard page. Follow the step-by-step instructions to recover your account information. Your Yahoo Account Key is intended to make your life easier. Its goal is to avoid the use of a password, which is replaced by an authentication made with the mobile app. But, if you can't use your mobile app, you can follow these steps outlined in Yahoo's designated help section to Fix Issues with Yahoo Account Key.
From Your Desktop Computer
Go to the Yahoo Account Recovery Wizard, and enter one of the account recovery items listed. Click Continue.
Follow the instructions given in the Account Recovery Wizard.
From Your Mobile Device
On the Yahoo Sign-in page, tap Trouble signing in?. Enter one of the account recovery items listed in the Account Recovery Wizard, and click Continue. Follow the instructions given in the Account Recovery Wizard.
If you've recently changed your phone or your mobile SIM card, you may see a verification message upon your first log-in reading First time signing in from here? When you see this message, you'll need to choose whether you want to verify using your phone or alternate email address. Depending on what you have listed, you can choose to get the code through text message, a phone call, or an email.
Select the method you'd like to use, and then check your email or mobile phone for the verification code. Enter the code in the field provided, and click Submit. For further information, click this link which will answer the question: Why am I asked to verify my account after signing in?
To protect your account, a temporary lock is triggered anytime there have been too many unsuccessful attempts to sign in. The lock will be lifted automatically after 12 hours, but you can always regain access to your account immediately using the Password Helper tool.
To date, Yahoo has not given any way to have any direct contact with customer care. Therefore you must try to recover your account through the methods provided on the Yahoo site, and as mentioned above.
Need more help with Yahoo? Check out our Forum!
- How to recover yahoo account
- How to recover yahoo mail
- Yahoo mail sign in with password only
- Sign into Yahoo: with Facebook, with Google > Guide
- Recover yahoo account forgot security questions [solved] > Forum - Yahoo Mail
- I forgot my yahoo security question > Forum - Yahoo Mail
- Yahoo account reactivation [solved] > Forum - Yahoo Mail
- Recover Yahoo mail account [solved] > Forum - Yahoo Mail
- Create Yahoo email: free, fast, without phone number
- Yahoo Mail attachments: download, not showing
- Add Yahoo account to Outlook: 365, 2019, 2016
- Yahoo Mail shortcut: icon, desktop
- How to enable the preview pane in Yahoo Mail
- How to switch to classic Yahoo Mail
- Can't sign into Yahoo mail: app, on phone, forgot password
- Yahoo search history: clear, erase, on this computer
- Delete Yahoo Mail account: permanently, from phone
- How to remove Yahoo safe search: from Chrome, Mac, Safari
- Change Yahoo email password: iPhone, Android, desktop
- Access Yahoo Mail: Android, iPad, on phone