Windows Live Messenger Reinstalls Everytime..

Closed
i.m.c Posts 1 Registration date Friday August 1, 2008 Status Member Last seen August 2, 2008 - Aug 2, 2008 at 02:53 AM
 Blondie - Aug 29, 2010 at 02:42 AM
Hello,
My problem is, that each time I start up Windows Live Messenger, it re-installs itself each time !
When I turn on my computer, at the very beginning, a window pops up saying that " Pre-paring to install.."

Link to Screenshot : http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/7352/66030163ih9.jpg

And also, each time I close Windows Live Messenger, and re-open it, it shows the same thing.

I'v already tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it's still the same.

If anyone knows the reason why, and a solution, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Related:

20 responses

I had the same problem. I fixed it using the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility. Be careful and read the instructions. I used it to remove all of the "Windows Live" features first and then used it on Messenger last. I did reboot after each time to see if the problem fixed itself. I may completely remove Messenger but then you can reinstall it and every thing should be working.

Here is a link to find the utility.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/290301

Good Luck.
Thanks Eric for the Microsoft clean up tool. I used it and now my Messenger starts without reinstalling all the time. Plus I would also like to agree that formatting & reinstalling your OS and programs is not fixing your problems it is only masking the fact that you have NO IDEA of what you are doing.
Regards: Raycliff
Easy fix, go to Run, if using Vista open the start menu and use the search bar to find Run.exe, if using XP open the start menu and click Run. Type "msconfig" into the text box and a new window should open. In the new window go to the "Services" tab and look for "Windows Live Setup Service". Add a check to its checkbox so it will run at windows startup, problem solved.
Greg,
Unfortunately, the idea is to STOP the setup utility from running every time. Perhaps, it would be a better suggestion to "uncheck" this box. For some users, you may be on the right track, although, the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility seems to fix the issue. Thanks for your suggestion, though, it was far better than some of the others I have read here...
Chances are the problem you have is you have an updated version of itunes, but the shortcut on your desktop is for an older version. Simply delete the itunes shortcut on your desktop, then go into c/program files/itunes and right click on the itunes icon to create a new shortcut for your desktop. Hope it works for you!
I have the exact same problem. It's driving me mad!!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
jeruvy23, on Saturday August 2, 2008 10:47:52 AMhello,
well i think you have got some sort of spyware and what i would advise you is that to try to install zonealarm 7.0 and after that run a spyware scan on your computer. if it does not detect anything then i think that youll have no choice other than to format your pc. hope that your scan works.

It really gets up my nose, if people do not know the right answer then they should not reply!!! I hate it when you go into a forum and you get some wiseguy guess the solution and then say if that does not work you will have to format your hard drive!!!

NO DONOT FORMAT YOUR HARD DRIVE a solution is always available you just need to wait for it of find it grrrrrrrr
I've got exactly the same problem and it drives me mad. I will most definatelty NOT re-install my computer from scratch! That will take at least 4-5 hours with all the programs, configurations, updates etc. And the computer works so great right now, except for this very bothering live messenger re-install shit.

Anyone having a solution yet?
Im starting to get very tired of stay at home mums and dads suggesting people use virus scanners and spyware cleaners when there is a much more efficient way to maintain your computer - any decent professional in the IT industry WILL tell you that formatting is the best option, here is why:

You should be adapting a strategy whereby you have separate areas for your data and running programs (drives, partitions, whatever). All your programs should be configured to point to your data drive so nothing losable is stored on your programs drive. Then use a free or commercial program (your choice) to image your program drive regularly, like whenever you make a change you want to configure, probably at most once a week. That way whenever you have an issue with Spyware, failing programs, conflicitions, etc it takes AT MOST 15 MINUTES to restore your drive to a known perfect state. Why on earth should you do this you ask?

1) It allows you to maintain a perfect image of a working system
2) Fixing ANY error takes 15 minutes, not hours of searching, fiddling around, etc
3) You absolutely know that in no way is your image containing viruses, instead of not being quite sure after removing one
4) All your data is together on one single drive which makes other important data maintenance strategies much easier to perform.

As a software engineer that has fixed endless computers for other people, i wish everyone would adopt this strategy, it would save me a lot of time and them a lot of money. Whether you think it is right or not, it is the most logical and efficient way to maintain a computer so i suggest you take the advice seriously. The only barrier i guess is knowledge but Mr Google is very good at giving such advice. Peace.
jeffl > Xcalibur
May 3, 2009 at 09:47 AM
Please, please tell me what company you work for. That way, I can make absolutely sure YOU NEVER touch anything of mine! Since I actually KNOW what I am doing, I will never have a need for your kind of reckless advice anyway. I am 51 years old, and built my own computer in 1976 using Intel's "New and Revolutionary" 8080 processor. I have done nothing BUT work in the computer industry since, and I can assure you, you are all WET behind the ears. I am Microsoft certified as a Level IV Windows technician (Vista, XP, 2k, 2k3, 2k8), my shop is a Gold Certified Partner, and I have been a member of IEEE for 21 years. I also have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and a Bachelor's degree in Mathematics. What are YOUR credentials?

The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility works fine. I had this issue with 3 of my computers, and it fixed the issues for all three of them. As far as partitioning your hard drive like THIS guy recommends, it is NOT necessary, unless you have a particular NEED for it. It is much easier to image ONE partition than several. The easiest way to preserve data is to save it to a FOLDER in My Documents, and then copy it to a dvd r/w or better yet, to a home server that employs a fault-tolerant RAID 0 array, or even schedule the copy through a powershell script.

The objective should be to save the client's data, not your time or money. If you have time and money issues, then you should find something else to do.

Say, you aren't a stay-at-home mum or dad by any chance, are you?
Hey, this was a great post. Not only did you tell that guy what he had coming to him, but the CleanUp utility is really helpful and worked.

Keep up the good work.

alex
FrustratedAnon
Sep 25, 2008 at 10:25 AM
It is not a spyware/malware issue, My machine was just done with a clean install w/ Vista Ultimate SP1 and everytime I restart my machine the install for Windows Live Messenger appears, just to double check I have run spyware/malware scans on several different programs and found nothing. I have a theory that something to do with the file virutalization is causing Messenger to think it's not installed or is finishing an install process, but just a theory I haven't pinpointed or proven anything in this as of yet. Any thoughts or advice is welcome.

FORMATTING YOUR COMPUTER IS NOT A VALID SOLUTION TO SPYWARE/MALWARE THREATS, it will only waste your time that could be better spent on actual spyware/malware removal software to produce a better solution.
Hello all, My mother has the same problem, and I cannot really see any way of resolving it, other than not to use MSN. Has anyone got to the bottom of it ?

Thanks
from doing some testing, it seems to be when you have it start up as soon as Windows Start. I have un ticked this, and it seems to work ok, thou the first time it did crash. But I just via Start>Programs>windows live click it and start it again and it worked fine without the need to install.

So.. still need the main answer to this, but this can help.
Nope, mine is not let to start at windows start, it still re-installs everytime.
Dear Eric

How are you i hope you always be good health.very well thanks for your information.

thanks so so much Mr. Eric.

your truly

Robar
Or if my previous tip didnt work, go to Run.exe, type services.msc and find "Windows Installer". Double click it and set "startup type" to automatic, then click "start" under "service status" and reboot.
Solved! Eric was right!

Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from here
Thanks Eric & Greg,
I tried Greg's solutions and its worked on me, just enabled Windows Live Setup & Windows Installer in services than it worked.

Thanks & Merry Christmas dudes.
Mustafa, Istanbul
This also happens to me as well, Every time I opened it, it closes. But it Opened after I Restarted my computer... You Should try it. If it still does not Work, Maybe you must Format your PC. Hope it Works

Ciao.
this happen to me too. I uninstalled Live Messenger, then downloaded the setup program again from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-essentials-2707b879-5004-4349-c4a4-e5900945f2a9 - However this time instead of just double clicking to run the exe I right clicked the setup program and clicked 'Run as Administrator' - Now all is good.
Yeah so I had the same problem and to get rid of it all it did was uninstall it and reinstall it. For some strange reason it didn't show up as a program in my add/remove so I used regcleaner (Google it if you dont have it). After regcleaner uninstalled it I went into the "C:\Program Files" and deleted the "Windows live" folder. I then reinstalled windows live and wallah no more installing. Oh and Im running Windows Xp also. Dont know if it will work for you but hopefully it will.
Erik,

A Raid 0 drive is not more reliable, it is less. By splitting a file onto two drives, you increase speed but also increase the chance of failure. I believe you meant Raid 1.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/319624/windows-installer-service-could-not-be-accessed-error-message-when-ins this might help. i had the same problem, and i

"Method 1: Unregister and re-register the Windows Installer" and it worked.
DeveloperDave
Jul 21, 2009 at 07:55 PM
This may be slightly off topic, but it may help some people browsing this thread.

In July 2009, I simply wanted to uninstall "Windows Live Messenger" from a fresh OEM Windows XP installation. Not finding an orthodox solution, I googled "uninstall Windows Live Messenger" and followed the advice of the most popular search result. However, each time I rebooted Windows, the program reinstalled itself.

My solution was to:
Open Control Panel
Select Add or Remove Programs
Under "Change or Remove Programs", select "Windows Live Essentials"
Follow the steps to uninstall the "Windows Live Messenger" component of this Live Essentials suite.
THANKYOU, I've been trying to get rid of that for ages!
LOL Xcalibur didnt seem to reply after he had is ass owned, now that made my day.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/319624/windows-installer-service-could-not-be-accessed-error-message-when-ins this might help. i had the same problem, and i

"Method 1: Unregister and re-register the Windows Installer" and it worked.

wow sorry codedog. didn't mean to reply to you. no idea how to delete my post. XD
jeruvy23 Posts 12 Registration date Friday April 18, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 29, 2009 2
Aug 2, 2008 at 05:47 AM
hello,
well i think you have got some sort of spyware and what i would advise you is that to try to install zonealarm 7.0 and after that run a spyware scan on your computer. if it does not detect anything then i think that youll have no choice other than to format your pc. hope that your scan works.