XP nd windows 7 simultaneously

Solved/Closed
sourav281290 Posts 38 Registration date Friday November 13, 2009 Status Member Last seen November 2, 2013 - Feb 17, 2010 at 04:43 AM
 sourav - Feb 18, 2010 at 12:14 PM
Hello,
how can i use XP nd windows 7 simultaneously....and can switch to any one of those whenever i desire???????cause while installin windows 7 am getting an error msg that 'XP cannt me upgraded to windows 7'...all the prograam files will get deleted.I want to use both of them simultaneously......pls sombody help me out of this...wat wud be the installation process???and what n how to do the needed activity?????????
Related:

10 responses

kambinator Posts 12 Registration date Wednesday February 17, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 15, 2010
Feb 17, 2010 at 04:47 AM
You probably try to install Win 7 and XP on the same drive, when installing win7 try to choose another drive. So you'll save your old program files
but will i be able to switch to any 1 of those nd how will i do that????
kambinator Posts 12 Registration date Wednesday February 17, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 15, 2010
Feb 17, 2010 at 05:15 AM
Insert your Windows 7 disc and reboot your computer (you'll need to have enabled booting from your DVD drive in your system BIOS, but most PCs will have this enabled by default).

Once the DVD boots up it's a simple matter of following along with the fairly simple installation wizard. When you're choosing installation type, be sure to select Custom (advanced) and choose the partition you set up above. (Be careful here. Choosing the wrong partition could mean wiping your other Windows installation altogether, so make sure you pick the new partition you just created.)

After you select the partition, go grab yourself a drink and let the installer do its work. Windows will run through some installation bits, restart a few times in the process. Eventually you'll be prompted to set up your account, enter your license key, and set up Windows. Keep your eyes open for fun new Windows 7 features, like your new homegroup (and the accompanying password). When it's finished, you're up and rolling with your new Windows 7 installation.

Congratulations! You should now have a new entry for Windows 7 on your boot screen when you first start up your computer. You've now got all the tools necessary to dual-boot Windows 7 and XP or Vista—or even to triple-boot Windows 7, Vista, and XP. The boot MENU is generated automatically. Success! Write here if you succed.
okkkkkkkhhh...actually i have 3 partitions of my hard disk(C:/D:/E:)....so now u'r askin me to make a new partition of that? a separate 1....where to install the windows 7....rit?????and if yes then how much space i need to keep aside for it???????

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Feb 17, 2010 at 05:48 AM
you need at least 16 gb free space for win 7. If you have xp on C, you can install win7 on D or E if there is more than 16 gb free space. Also if you have information there (on D or E) you can intsall win7 without losing it, or you can shrink your D or E partition to free up at least 16GB of disk space and then create a New Volume F from that free space, and install win 7 there. If you need help in resizing and creating a new partition from D o E free space without losing any files ask me.
Yes actually how to create a new drive???????
Feb 17, 2010 at 07:14 AM
1. install and download this free soft Easeus partition manager, search google
2. Follow these steps:

0. Free not less than 16-25 GB on D or E drive
To resize/move a partition:

1. Select the hard disk and a partition to be resized.

2. Click Partitions > Resize / Move.

3. On a disk map, current size of the partition is displayed on the top of the dialog box. The map also depicts the used and unused space within the partition and the free space surrounding the partition (if any exists). The minimum and maximum sizes that you can resize a partition appear below the map.

4. Position the mouse pointer on the left or right partition handle.

5. The mouse pointer changes to a double-headed arrow.

6. Drag the handle to the partition size you want.

7. Click OK.

Tips:

In step 6, you can also resize the partition by specifying new values in the Unallocated Space Before, Partition Size, and Unallocated Space After text boxes. The values you type may change slightly to values supported by your drive's geometry.

To make a partition smaller, the partition must contain unused space. To enlarge a partition, there must be free space adjacent to it.

By clicking OK in the Resize Partition window, you'll create a pending operation for partition resizing and moving (your actions may only undo or modify an existing operation.)

Take special care when moving an operating system partition and its boot code location. The OS might stop booting.
Feb 17, 2010 at 07:17 AM
after resizing select the unallocated space and create a new ntfs partition as F drive, then install win7 on F
REMEMBER NOT LESS THAN 16 GB, i suggest not less than 25 GB.
Thanks a lot ys.....got very much benifited by yr indications nd hence very gratefull to you....lots of love nd gud wishes fr u.....stay fit n fine....gud lukk
Thanks a lot ys.....got very much benifited by yr indications nd hence very gratefull to you....lots of love nd gud wishes fr u.....stay fit n fine....gud lukk @ kambinator