Laptop Screen Goes Black

Closed
SixforShaken - Jun 24, 2010 at 12:50 PM
 SixforShaken - Jun 24, 2010 at 02:33 PM
Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion dv6700 laptop running Vista with a Nvidia graphics card (the comp is a bit less than 2 years old). Last night I was playing a compter game and had to manually power the machine off due to the screen flickering, the pixels and movement of my character in-game being choppy, then the screen going black and flickering with the images of the game (it looked as if my computer was freaking out because a program was trying to perform an update and I was playing a game). I stopped the update, powered down the machine and turned it back on, and the same thing happened, turned the comoputer off again and decided to just let the computers upate finish and I'd check back in the morning. I woke up this morning, and now the screen remains black. The lights on the keyboard and such are on, and the noises sound normal, but the screen is black. I turned it off and on about 3 times and it just stays black. Should I try to take out the battery and hold the Start button down to re-power it? Or is this a hardware issue? Please tell me this is fixable, I am worried =(

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jun 24, 2010 at 01:14 PM
This does not look good. This generation of laptops with the Nvidia video chip has a long history of problems. The heat the chip generates either fries the chip or weakens the solder joints to the motherboard. I saw a uTube video where he used a heat lamp to fix the bad solder joints.

Good Luck
What does this mean exactly? Do I need a newaptop or will this be an expensive fix? Have I lost everything on my computer?
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jun 24, 2010 at 01:40 PM
I would first try the trick with removing the battery and unplugging the laptop. Then hold down the start button for 30 seconds. This has a very small chance of fixing your laptop given the symptoms you have reported.

The hard drive probably can be removed and put into an external USB adapter. Then your data can recovered/used by another computer . These adapters cost around $30. Any local repair shop can do this for you. Add another 30-40$ for their labor.

That local repair shop is probably not qualified to repair your laptop.
Hp will probably want to replace the motherboard. This might cost 75-80% of what a new similar computer can be purchased for. The really bad news is the replacement motherboard has the same design flaw and will fail at some point just like your current one. The HP FIX is to run the CPU fan at full speed 100% of the time.

Good Luck
Ok, I took the battery out and held the Power button down for about a minute, then replaced the battery and powered it on and the same thing happened- screen is black but everything else seems to be working (i.e sounds seem normal and the keyboard lights are on). I will take it to Best Buy after work and see what they say, is there anything else I can try in the meantime?
Oh I forgot to mention, there is a little black abr above the touchpad with a few icons on it, one of which is lit (I think it is for the monitor), it's a little blue square type icon. I think when I was having an issue at one point (a similar issue where I took the battery out and held the Start button and re-powered it on, and it worked that time) this icon was lit, and I vagually remember trying to figure out what it meant, but I do not think this icon is usually lit. Does this mean anything else to you?

Thanks so much for your help by the way, much appreciated =)