Router won't connect to ADSL

Closed
classylady - Dec 2, 2008 at 02:39 PM
 sh - Aug 17, 2010 at 12:05 PM
Hi, Not sure if this is the right area or not... Our ADSL broadband went down a couple of weeks ago. The ADSL light on our Linksys wireless router/modem went out. Anyway, after a fair bit of faffing and fault checking, a BT engineer came to our house last week and fixed a problem with the line. He proved that the ADSL was working by connecting up our ancient Speedtouch modem to it. It works absolutely fine. But our Linksys router was still having the same problem - no light on, no internet connection.

We assumed the router was now faulty (co-incidental with the BT fault!) and reverted to an older Belkin router. But had the same trouble with this. We have checked and rechecked settings, checked details with our ISP, re-input settings, do factory default restrores and even upgraded the firmware on both. But no luck. My ISP suggested that both routers were faulty and that we should get a new one. We thought this was unlikely but couldn't find a reasonable explaination as to why the Speedtouch modem would be working but the routers not even finding the ADSL.

So... (I do eventually get there ;-)) I bought a new router today. And guess what? Same problem. ISP has asked me to take them all to my friends house tomorrow and try them there to confirm they aren't broken. But they're baffled. And they're also not sure what to log the complaint to BT as as we technically have working broadband.

Any thoughts or suggestions? TIA
Related:

8 responses

GiantLeap Posts 85 Registration date Saturday November 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 8, 2008 45
Dec 3, 2008 at 12:29 PM
the microfilter must be installed after ADSL modem/router, but nevermind if the speedtouch is working ok..
are you using the same cable to connect your routers and speedtouch?
did you try to use different ADSL modulation settings or better if you copied-pasted them from speedtouch working settings?
Thanks. I can't plug the combined router/modem(s) in anywhere but the main socket as we have a built in filter now. But we tried using the test socket last night with the new router/modem we purchased and things were still the same. I still haven't had a chance to test the 3 router/modems on someone elses broadband, but I can be fairly confident that they're not all faulty.

So I suppose the question is what would cause the combined router/modems to not pick up the ADSL, but the speedtouch modem to find it OK?

Having a hellish time trying to get this concept through to my ISP who are still convinced I need to reboot... :-)
well its not a line problem cause then net would not work at all. have you tried to bridge the connection or use the wirless router as a dumby terminal?
GiantLeap Posts 85 Registration date Saturday November 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 8, 2008 45
Dec 3, 2008 at 03:18 AM
Seems to be a line problem. If you have any other line sockets in your house, try to plug your routers there and unplug all other devices like phones and faxes to diagnose the problem.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Hi not an answer but the same issues. My wireless GURU modem router failed or so I thought. I too bought a new replacement Linksys wireless G adsl2 gateway and its the same no adsl connection. The ISP took a week of trials swapping and so on and got the phone company to check the line (which works fine for voice calls) and still wont work. I have connected up with sagem modem now and it works fine. but if someone picks another phone up in the house (they all have filters on) it seems to drop the connection. I've been back to first main socket in the house and thats no good either. Whats the wat out of this?
had the same problem recently...reconfig the adsl modem and select bride instead of pppoe.....
well, if your connection drops out with your filters on may be your filter doesnt work or try using a SPLITTER for a change so that you can plug in your modem and your phone on the same line.
try http://192.168.1.1 ..
These days speed touch are having contracts with many ISP's and they are converting there technology which will completly & only work with speedTouch goods. However they have not completly converted yet, thats why on some lines we can still use other routers. However once they completly shift there technology then every one will be using only speedtouch goods.