Ask a question Report

Cannot change the colors of Windows [Solved/Closed]

dv9700pav 10Posts Tuesday October 14, 2008Registration date May 14, 2009 Last seen - Latest answer on Dec 26, 2012 05:25PM
If I go to Personalization > Window Color and Appearance I cannot make changes because I disabled something couple months back.
I cannot change the colors of Windows, Start Menu, transparency, color mixer, color intensity but I can change the color schemes but that doesn't change anything either.
Can anybody please help me?
Read more 
moins plus
I had the same problem too and I solved it!

Try this:

>Search "msconfig"

>Right click

>Click "Run As Administrator"

>Services Tab

> Scroll down and make sure a checkbox is ticked next to "Themes" and "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager".

>Search "services"

>Open Services result

>Scroll down and make sure "Themes" and "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" are started, if not, right
> Start.

If they are disabled,

>Right click

>Startup Type set to "Automatic" then start them.

Do this for both.

jimmy- Apr 12, 2010 06:15PM
that is what "ticked" means
Helped- May 10, 2010 08:57PM
i did almost the same thing and it helped ALOT, but i did a few steps differently. All of mine were already started, so in the services, i left clicked on the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager and Restarted it and it immediately changed my theme back to transparent, windows vista aero.
Genevieve- Jun 1, 2010 04:11PM
Restarting it worked for me.
cools- Jun 25, 2010 03:39AM
thank you cluelessgeek, that worked for me =)
poziks- Dec 26, 2012 05:25PM
OMG, thank you so much!!!!!!!!!
moins plus
Cluelessgeek's answer helped me within seconds. Thank you. I freaked out for a bit... :)

moins plus
is your theme aero or vista basic
make sure its aero then you can do it

jenni- Apr 3, 2009 05:36AM
i have windows 7 and i cant seem to change the window colour. i can find vista basic but i cant find aero
cathexis24- Jul 16, 2009 12:53AM
I was having the same hang up so i searched and found this site, then figured it out how to fix it accidentally, so it thought i would share the solution :)
Pick the "Characters" theme in the personalization options, then close it. When you open it back up and click Windows Color you'll have a similar options menu to Vista, so you can pick the color and transparency of the theme. I like darker color themes so i was glad to find out how to fix this. (p.s. it may have something to do with me recently re-installing the drivers for my video card.... but probably not, so if you can re-install the drivers from your pc manufacturer or aftermarket video card M.F., then restart, then try this it should work.((as long as your video card isn't a pos, i.e. integrated ;) )) otherwise it
Ramu- Apr 23, 2010 12:12AM
It is totally not working for me!
caree- Aug 26, 2010 04:12AM
Cluelessgeek and Helped both helped me. Thank you (:
David- Sep 2, 2010 03:48PM
uhm id I type what you said like "msconfig" and "services" in SEARCH it finds me nothing. BUT if I go to RUN then the "msconfig" works. but the "services" still wont work... and for me, the problem is not solved :(
moins plus
If you see the Windows Aero theme to select, click that. If you don't see it:

1. Click on Windows Vista Basic and hit effects.
2. In the first drop-down list, click Standard.
3. Click OK.
4. Close it.
5. Open it again.
6. It should come up with a theme called Windows Aero. Click on it and hit OK.
7. Enjoy!

EL@- Jul 9, 2010 08:25AM
THANKS =D U Solved my problem, Genius ^^
moins plus
Wow thanks this helped me :=)

moins plus
yeah thank! really helped!

moins plus
How to change background color on my monitor screen

moins plus
u cant change the colour on the basic theme

This document entitled « cannot change the colors of Windows » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.