Ask a question Report

Cannot change the colors of Windows [Solved/Closed]

dv9700pav 10Posts Tuesday October 14, 2008Registration date May 14, 2009 Last seen - Latest answer on Dec 26, 2012 05:25PM
Hi,
If I go to Personalization > Window Color and Appearance I cannot make changes because I disabled something couple months back.
I cannot change the colors of Windows, Start Menu, transparency, color mixer, color intensity but I can change the color schemes but that doesn't change anything either.
Can anybody please help me?
Read more 
Answer
+66
moins plus
Hello,
I had the same problem too and I solved it!

Try this:

>Start

>Search "msconfig"

>Right click

>Click "Run As Administrator"

>Services Tab

> Scroll down and make sure a checkbox is ticked next to "Themes" and "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager".
Then

>Start

>Search "services"

>Open Services result

>Scroll down and make sure "Themes" and "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" are started, if not, right
click
> Start.

If they are disabled,

>Right click

>Properties

>Startup Type set to "Automatic" then start them.

Do this for both.

jimmy- Apr 12, 2010 06:15PM
that is what "ticked" means
Helped- May 10, 2010 08:57PM
i did almost the same thing and it helped ALOT, but i did a few steps differently. All of mine were already started, so in the services, i left clicked on the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager and Restarted it and it immediately changed my theme back to transparent, windows vista aero.
Genevieve- Jun 1, 2010 04:11PM
Restarting it worked for me.
cools- Jun 25, 2010 03:39AM
thank you cluelessgeek, that worked for me =)
poziks- Dec 26, 2012 05:25PM
OMG, thank you so much!!!!!!!!!
Answer
+6
moins plus
Cluelessgeek's answer helped me within seconds. Thank you. I freaked out for a bit... :)

Answer
+2
moins plus
is your theme aero or vista basic
make sure its aero then you can do it

jenni- Apr 3, 2009 05:36AM
i have windows 7 and i cant seem to change the window colour. i can find vista basic but i cant find aero
cathexis24- Jul 16, 2009 12:53AM
I was having the same hang up so i searched and found this site, then figured it out how to fix it accidentally, so it thought i would share the solution :)
Pick the "Characters" theme in the personalization options, then close it. When you open it back up and click Windows Color you'll have a similar options menu to Vista, so you can pick the color and transparency of the theme. I like darker color themes so i was glad to find out how to fix this. (p.s. it may have something to do with me recently re-installing the drivers for my video card.... but probably not, so if you can re-install the drivers from your pc manufacturer or aftermarket video card M.F., then restart, then try this it should work.((as long as your video card isn't a pos, i.e. integrated ;) )) otherwise it
Ramu- Apr 23, 2010 12:12AM
It is totally not working for me!
caree- Aug 26, 2010 04:12AM
Cluelessgeek and Helped both helped me. Thank you (:
David- Sep 2, 2010 03:48PM
uhm id I type what you said like "msconfig" and "services" in SEARCH it finds me nothing. BUT if I go to RUN then the "msconfig" works. but the "services" still wont work... and for me, the problem is not solved :(
Answer
+2
moins plus
If you see the Windows Aero theme to select, click that. If you don't see it:

1. Click on Windows Vista Basic and hit effects.
2. In the first drop-down list, click Standard.
3. Click OK.
4. Close it.
5. Open it again.
6. It should come up with a theme called Windows Aero. Click on it and hit OK.
7. Enjoy!

trae329

EL@- Jul 9, 2010 08:25AM
THANKS =D U Solved my problem, Genius ^^
Answer
+1
moins plus
Wow thanks this helped me :=)

Answer
+1
moins plus
yeah thank! really helped!

Answer
moins plus
How to change background color on my monitor screen

Answer
moins plus
u cant change the colour on the basic theme

This document entitled « cannot change the colors of Windows » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.