Windows updating problem posible virus!

Closed
timlomas Posts 1 Registration date Monday January 12, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 13, 2009 - Jan 13, 2009 at 09:43 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jan 13, 2009 at 01:05 PM
Hello,
i have just found that my computer wont update ether windows or any of my antivirus/spyware software (avg, superanti spyware and downloaded today to search for problem PC tools spyware doctor, i have tryed reintalling these programs as well.). i have tried going to the windows update web site but a second side affect of this problem is that it seems to redirect me from some websites and not let me into others at all, and as such i cannot get to the windows update site. my internet conection however is fine for downloading. i have played with windows fire wall checking expetions and even turning it off to see if any thing went through and no joy.
a third problem is that several of my external hard drives (which i have had no problem with for months) have be come inaccessable via my computer with the message c:\resycled\boot.com is not a valid win 32 application. i have searched for this file and i cannot find it!

do anyone have any ideas.

regards tim lomas
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 13, 2009 at 01:05 PM
Sounds like classic virus symptoms. I would download Malwarebyte's anti-malware software on another computer (they have a free option) transfer it to your computer and see if it can fix your problems. The problem is these viruses try to stop you from running the programs that can be used to remove them. You may need a Linux based boot CD to bypass these self-defense mechanisms.

There are forums that specialize in virus fixes that you should search for. This forum can't offer much expertise in that area.