Problems with starting up my laptop

Closed
Serg - May 15, 2011 at 01:42 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - May 15, 2011 at 02:14 PM
Hello, My Dell laptop has erratic start up issues. Most of the time when I power up my laptop I only see a black screen and I can hear fan and see power lights on. After a few times of powering off and on the computer finally comes up with an error showing that time and date are set incorrectly and prompts me to press f5 to run a diagnostic. I do so then I press escape to boot up. Once computer goes to desktop I have to set my time and date because everytime pc boots up it show date of November 2007. Can you tell me what I need to do to fix this problem. My pc seems to work great after once it is powered up and running. I really appreciate the help.

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 15, 2011 at 02:14 PM
You have either a motherboard issue or a problem with your CMOS/BIOS battery. Replacing the CMOS battery requires you to disassemble the laptop case and you need to get the repair manual to determine the correct screws and procedure to remove the case. I would not try this unless you are handy with tools and have very good eyesight.

You might Google your Dell model number to see if this problem is inherent to that model. There were a large number of complaints about this type of problem.

Good Luck