Laptop freezing

Closed
James - Jun 21, 2011 at 02:41 PM
vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 - Jun 23, 2011 at 06:20 PM
Hi all,

I have a problem with my laptop freezing both when booting and in windows, I have a suspicion it might be the RAM but windows memory test turns up nothing (going to try MEMTEST later when I can borrow my roommates usb drive).

From 'off' I need to turn it off and on a few times before it gradually gets further along the booting process, this is the general pattern I get :

1) turn it on, see that its not doing anything, turn it off, repeat a few times
2) eventually starts loading windows, freezes again, reboot
3) gets to password input, freezes again, reboot
4) manage to get into windows, freezes after a couple of minutes, reboot
5) laptop now seems okay, can randomly freeze anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours but I will state again just for emphasis that after every reboot it takes longer to freeze and this seems to be without exception.

For example, I have never booted up, got to windows login and had a freeze, then upon reboot the laptop getting stuck booting up.

I did a disk and registry clean too using CCleaner, doesn't seem to have had any effect.

I am running windows vista and my laptop is a Toshiba A210

Cheers

James

Related:

4 responses

vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 38
Jun 21, 2011 at 06:01 PM
Hello,

are there any error messages that come up?

Your hard drive data seems to be intact, so i recommed backup uo everything you need in those few hours you get, or with a bootable CD (which should be used with a technician as it can be complicated), and recovering your PC.

Good luck.
No error messages at all, are there any guides to making and using the boot CD online? Don't have the time or money for a technician :)
vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 38
Jun 22, 2011 at 11:38 AM
OK. I'm looking for a guide for you at the moment. I did this once and the Bootable CD i used was called Plop Linux. While i find a guide, download this. I'll paste the link in the next post. Is your computer 32-bit or 64-bit? If your not sure, it can be found in the properties of Computer under the system section.

As i mentioned, this method is complicated. If you can back up your stuff on an external hard drive then format your internal hard drive, you would save a lot of time. The bootable CD is only used when the OS cannot be accessed at all!
My laptop is 32-bit.

I ran memtest86+ twice (four passes total) and turned up no errors with the RAM, currently defragging my HD right now (gotta try everything!)

think I will back up my stuff tomorrow on my roommates external HD then format the drive. I have noticed that it seems to work fine if I do those memory tests before windows boots (e.g. memtest and windows memory check) and seems to freeze less often if I dont hve the power cable in, but this might just be coincidence :) anyway cheers for the replies, I will be leaving this on overnight to defrag and hope it doesn't freeze again
Jun 23, 2011 at 06:15 PM
OK. The link is at the bottom. I can't find the instructions right now but if i do, i'll be sure to let you know.

Good luck with that. Happy to help. Weird about the power cable. My mum's laptop also had errors in booting whenever it was unplugged. Formatted the HDD to fix it.

Hope i helped and good luck fixing your PC
Jun 23, 2011 at 06:20 PM
http://download.plop.at/files/ploplinux/ploplinux-4.1.1.iso