My CDDVD drive doesn't show up on My Computer

Solved/Closed
Em - Jul 24, 2011 at 01:12 AM
 Anonymous User - Jul 24, 2011 at 07:09 AM
So my CD/DVD drive has gone missing and I have no idea what do do. It doesn't show up in My Computer. The actual physical drive opens but it doesn't read any CD or DVD that I put in there. At one stage it appeared in Device Manager with a little yellow triangle beside it but it's not there any more. I've googled to try and find out how to fix it and I've gone through the steps of deleting the registry keys 'UpperFilters' and 'LowerFilters' and still nothing. I've run Microsoft support programs to try to fix it but it just tells me to reinstall the drive. How do I do that?
It started off displaying Code 10 but before it disappeared off Device Manager, it showed Code 45.
I have an Acer AX3950 that runs Windows 7. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Related:

1 response

Anonymous User
Jul 24, 2011 at 03:15 AM
Hello,

Try this 1

First check your DVD-Drive is detected in the BIOS or not.

Go to BIOS --> Load default settings --> Check if your drive is detected or not -->

Save the settings and exit from BIOS.

If you can see your drive in BIOS then

Click on Start --> In search box, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

"Device Manager" will be opened.

If you see any yellow mark on your DVD-Drive name --> Double-click on it and let

me know the "Device Status" complete message.

Good Luck

Thank you so much for answering.
I went to BIOS and loaded the default settings but I couldn't whether or not the drive was detected so I saved and exited. I still went to Device Manager but the dvd drive still hasn't come up. Do you know if there is anything else I can do?
Anonymous User
Jul 24, 2011 at 04:29 AM
WIth the code 45, it is said that you must disconnect and reconnect your DVD drive. Unplug from its socket and reconnect it to see if the problem still exists.

Good Luck!
Thanks. I tried that but it's still not coming up.
Anonymous User
Jul 24, 2011 at 04:47 AM
Try to uninstall the device and reboot pc and let it reinstall the device.

So right click on the device and choose uninstall, reboot pc, and it should reinstall the device.
I'd do that but I can't find an icon for the drive anywhere on my computer.