Laptop, No Display, no boot.

Closed
HelloMrOverlord - Sep 5, 2011 at 06:11 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Sep 6, 2011 at 02:44 PM
Hi im looking for some insight on a problem with my friends brothers Toshiba satellite L505D laptop. So here's the detail's. The hinges cracked in half and he kept using it till the screen stopped working. I hooked up an external monitor and still nothing. So i figure that rules out the lcd and the inverter. Leaving either the cpu or the graphics card. But Im not sure which it is for sure. The cpu still heats up, the drive spins up. I removed the ram and heard no beeps and i removed the wlan adapter, still nothing. So wondering if i could get some insight perhaps on what it could be thats causing the problem. I wonder if it is possible that the inverter may have sent high voltage back to the board, frying something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 5, 2011 at 08:28 PM
The first question is do you know how to connect an external monitor? Most laptops need to use a PF key to activate the external port otherwise there is no signal to the external monitor.

The most likely failure is with the motherboard since the graphics chip is integrated into the motherboard and CPU failure is unlikely.

Good Luck
HelloMrOverlord
Sep 5, 2011 at 09:07 PM
Yeah thanks i forgot about that. I pressed the button the first time and it said signal not supported. But after that same old no signal message. Do you have any idea how it could fail like that? Apparently it worked fine and then just stopped working. The hinge is completely opposite of the gpu.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 6, 2011 at 02:44 PM
OK "signal not supported" makes makes me think that this is a wide screen laptop and standard monitor. Then the laptops signal can't be processed by the monitor. Try hitting F8 after starting the laptop. That should put it into "safe mode" and a resolution of 800X600 that just about any monitor should support. If that works I would change the resolution to 800x600 or 1024x768 in the "control panel".

Good Luck