My computer won't start

Closed
ProNickname - Sep 29, 2011 at 06:44 PM
 ProNickname - Oct 3, 2011 at 07:18 PM
Hello, I have an HP laptop and I downloaded something yesterday in which I think it is a virus. When I turned off my computer, I left it and when I tried to turn it on again, a warning came up giving me two options: 1) For Windows to find and fix the problem, and 2) To start Windows normally. When I clicked on the first one, the cursor shows on the screen but nothing happens. And when I click on the second option, it begins to start but then it restarts. I think its the virus but I'm not an expert in computers. I would appreciate the help and experience for these situations. Thank you.

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,167
Sep 30, 2011 at 04:55 AM
Hi

1. What is your operating system ?

2. Are you able to start in safe mode with networking ?
It doesnt give me a safe mode option and I think by operating system its Windows 7. If it isnt enough information I can tell you what the screen tells me when I turn it on.
Here's exactly what it says when I turn it on:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the cause.

If Windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, Startup Repair can help diagnose and fix the problem. If power was interrupted during Startup, choose Start Windows Normally
(Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice.)

Launch Startup Repair (recommended)
Start Windows Normally

I've even tried to reboot my system, but nothing ever seems to work.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,167
Sep 30, 2011 at 04:39 PM
Hi ProNickname,

Did you try starting in safe mode or you don't see the option when booting in safe mode?

Booting in safe mode means tapping F8 as soon as you push the power button and then choosing safe mode with networking.

If you can't even get to safe mode you will need to insert your Windows CD and restart and choose the repair option.

If you can get to safe mode, we can probably repair the system without any lost.

Let me know
Sorry I haven't been able to write back, but I've been busy.

No I can't enter in safe mode with networking, and I'm searching for my Windows CD in which I can't find in the disorder in my room. Ill write back if I find them.