SATA HDD not detected in bios. But sometimes it does. [Solved/Closed]

firewolf123 3 Posts Wednesday March 6, 2013Registration date August 24, 2013 Last seen - Mar 6, 2013 at 07:58 AM - Latest reply:  Dhewada
- Oct 14, 2017 at 10:41 PM
Hello,
recently my pc has started malfunctioning. windows will not boot! when I enter setup (bios) I cant see my hdd. sometimes its there and sometimes not! when I boot to repair disk (when the hdd is detected) and run startup repair it shows like this : "root cause found : the partion table does not have a valid system partition". and sometimes (when hdd is not detected) it shows: system repair cant resolve this issue. in diskpart I cant see my drives. anyway I decided to run super fdisk to correct my partion table. but when I boot to it, it does not detect a hdd. also I did a change in the bios I changed the sata controller from ACHI TO ATA. but when I tried ACHI it does not detect my hdd. currently I have a cd with super fdisk loaded. ready to boot. but cant see my hdd. what to do?

See more 

27 replies

Zohaib R 2417 Posts Sunday September 23, 2012Registration date November 12, 2017 Last seen - Updated by Jeff on 24/03/17 at 11:30 AM
+83
Helpful
Hi firewolf123,

As you have not mentioned whether you have a Desktop or a Laptop computer, I am providing the steps for a Desktop machine. Try these steps and check if this fixes the problem:
  • 1. Disconnect the power cable from the computer tower.
  • 2. Press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds to remove the residual power.
  • 3. Open the computer cover.
  • 4. Reseat (disconnect and reconnect) the Hard Drive connections (both SATA and power connectors) and check if the computer boots. If the computer works fine the issue is fixed, otherwise follow the next step.
  • 5. Connect the Hard Drive to other SATA ports on the motherboard. If the Hard Drive is detected, one of the SATA ports on the motherboard is bad. If the Hard Drive is still not detected follow the next step.
  • 6. Try a different SATA cable and see if the Hard Drive is detected. If the Hard Drive is detected, the problem is with the SATA cable and has to be replaced. Else, follow the next step.
  • 7. If possible, check the Hard Drive by connecting it to another computer. If the Hard Drive works fine in another computer, the motherboard is bad and needs replacement. If the Hard Drive is not detected in another computer also, you need to replace the Hard Drive.

Note: The steps above require you to reseat the components by removing the system cover/taking apart the chassis. Please perform these steps only if you are comfortable else seek a technician's help. Also, refer to the Service Manual for accurate steps and safety instructions.

Do reply with results.

Thanks & Regards
Zohaib R
#iworkfordell
Was this answer helpful?  
my hard disk working in another computer& another hd is working in my computer but my hd not working in my pc and its not open bios setup when my hd conected
Thank you. This really help
Thanks Man.. my PC is now working,,,

Best Regards : Philippines...
it work's for me from 1 to 4 steps............................
after the 4 process done!!! BOOOM its Works....

1M likes for you
felixq78 1 Posts Friday August 2, 2013Registration date August 2, 2013 Last seen - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM
+11
Helpful
I have Two internal HDD of 2TB each apart from the 40GB HDD which holds the Operating system. These 2 x 2TB HDD are for storage only.
About 10 days ago I started having trouble similar to yours where the storage HDDs weren't being recognised by the BIOS or my Linux OS. This was intermittent and eventually it occurred every time I logged on. Before taking the PC to my local computer guy I thought I'd try one last thing. I opened the box, unplugged the power and the data cables and reconnected them and reversing them in the process.i.e. power for one was plugged into the other and the same with the data cables. When I restarted the PC the problem had resolved itself with both 2TB HDD working perfectly. I guess the contacts must have been dirty or corroded and by reconnecting them the dirt or corrosion was cleared. I hope this helps others with the same problem.
Zohaib R 2417 Posts Sunday September 23, 2012Registration date November 12, 2017 Last seen - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:13 PM
+8
Helpful
Hi firewolf123,

From your post it seems Hard Drive is being detected intermittently. With slight modification I would recommend the steps in my previous reply again, this time specific to Dell Vostro 1450. Please follow the steps below and check if this fixes the problem:

1. Confirm Hard Drive is recognized in BIOS. Hit F2 on initial startup at Dell Logo and check if the Hard Drive in the "Fixed HDD" field of the "Main" screen. If yes, follow step 4 onwards. If NO, "Load Defaults" by pressing F9 and then F10 to save.
2. If the Hard Drive is still not detected reseat the Hard Drive. For steps on how to reseat the Hard Drive please refer to the Service Manual.
3. If still not detected, Hard Drive needs to be replaced. *
4. Run PSA and confirm no errors on HDD. To run PSA, press and hold the `Fn' key on the keyboard and then press the power button to start the computer. If test fails, do reply with the error code (Note: perform complete tests and make a not any errors that appear).
5. If no errors are found boot to Safe mode and perform system restore. If system restore fails or unable to access safe mode, follow next step.
6. Run Start Up repair (Vista and Win 7 only).

Note: The steps above require you to reseat the components by removing the system cover/taking apart the chassis. Please perform these steps only if you are comfortable else seek a technician's help. Also, refer to the Service Manual for accurate steps and safety instructions.

* In case of expired warranty scenario, I would be able to provide limited support, which will not cover part replacement, software support and onsite technician.
Do reply with results.
Zohaib R 2417 Posts Sunday September 23, 2012Registration date November 12, 2017 Last seen - Mar 7, 2013 at 01:04 PM
+6
Helpful
Hi firewolf123,

Please keep us updated with the status once the computer is back from repair. This will help other users if they have the same problem.

Kindly get back if there are any further queries.
Zohaib R 2417 Posts Sunday September 23, 2012Registration date November 12, 2017 Last seen - Jun 14, 2013 at 08:56 AM
+2
Helpful
Hi hj13,

Please try the steps and post the results here. We will await your response.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
Zohaib R 2417 Posts Sunday September 23, 2012Registration date November 12, 2017 Last seen - Mar 8, 2013 at 12:20 PM
+1
Helpful
Hi firewolf123,

Indeed, your decision to take the laptop to Service Technician is the right one. The hard drive in Vostro 1450 is a FRU (Field Replaceable Unit). You can refer to the Service Manual if needed. You can view/download the manual from the below mentioned link:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_vostro_notebook/vostro-1450_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

If you want to see the disassembly instructions for Hard Drive, you can check page 29 of Service Manual. Also you can see the image for the Hard Drive connection that was suggested by the Tech Support.

I will await your response after the computer is back from repair.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6

Please do write back to us.
Miggin 1 Posts Saturday November 9, 2013Registration date November 9, 2013 Last seen - Nov 9, 2013 at 03:07 AM
+1
Helpful
Not sure if this is relevant to your motherboard on not? I have an Asus P8z77, it has 5 drives connected - 2 are on the Intel SATA 6 controller 1 is the DVD drive on the Intel sata 3 controller the other two hard drives are connected to SATA 6 controller which is MARVEL - both of the drives on the Marvel controller DO NOT show up in the BIOS - but are working in Windows.
Bayu Soeryo - Oct 1, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Helpful
hi...i would like to share with the same problem that the HDD cannot re-boot correctly and also sometimes cannot detected by the PC Mobo.
Well, my HDD is starts with the BIOS logo, then came to Windows XP logo, but suddenly restart after the end of Windows XP logo.

I also try to reseat the HDD to other PC but result the same problem. I try REPAIR with the Windows CD and got the same result. I try press F8 but won't start to the save mode, its restart again and again.

I also try connected this SATA HDD to other PC and can detected normally for CHKDSK and surface chkdsk, the system files in the HDD seems normally detected. But cannot remove all the data files to the other health HDD.

And then after CHKDSK is finish, I replace the SATA cable with the new and try to re-boot it after I change BIOS for this HDD as 1st boot, seems run normal at the time but the HDD is restart again after the Windows logo end. What happened? What can I do?

ooh... I forgot to mention... its happened also to my 2nd PC 4 days later.
Its some kind of virus?
But when the HDD is detected to the other PC and run CHKDSK I already scan it before with the Anti Virus and found nothing.
Zohaib R 2417 Posts Sunday September 23, 2012Registration date November 12, 2017 Last seen - Oct 1, 2013 at 06:04 PM
Helpful
Hi Bayu Soeryo,

Your suspect might be right that this hard drive has some virus that has corrupted the boot record on the Hard Drive. These viruses are difficult to detect and scan with anti-virus software. In order to remove this type of viruses you need to run Debug Script on your Hard Drive. However, I recommend running a thorough diagnostics on the hard drive with the diagnostic utility (if any) provided by the manufacturer of your computer. If the test returns any error contact the manufacturer.

Hope this helps.
Helpful
Simple solution for this problem is u should use live Linux for this when u will open ur linux your hdd will be mount and u can use ur windows after restarting that linux