HP laptop sudden restart

Closed
gdome Posts 9 Registration date Sunday January 19, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2014 - Jan 19, 2014 at 10:46 PM
gdome Posts 9 Registration date Sunday January 19, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2014 - Feb 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM
Hello,

I have a HP DV7 4085eb from a friend with a weird problem.

While doing some surfing and playing some music everytime after around 2.5/3 hours it suddenly goes out, like you would push the resetbutton, and then instantly restarts.

First i thought of overheating, so I disassembled the whole laptop and cleaned out the dust. Then i applied some of the best coolerpaste around on CPU/GPU, but problem still persists.

After, I used HP recovery to do a factory reset... no effect. I checked RAM and HDD which are both OK.

What's weird is that it allways happens at the same time interval. First after 3 hours, then restarts and then after half an hour the same sudden restart.

I ran a stress test for 2 hours. The laptop did OK. I stop the stress test and after one hour laptop restarts.

Does anyone have suggestions for me to solve this irritating problem?

Thanks for reading
Related:

15 responses

Blocked Profile
Jan 20, 2014 at 11:49 AM
Can you disable automatic restart on system failure.

right click computer > properties > advanced > startup and recovery settings > uncheck automatically restart under system failure
gdome Posts 9 Registration date Sunday January 19, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2014
Jan 20, 2014 at 12:21 PM
Thanks for your answer. I will try that tomorrow and will report back to this forum. Hoping to finally see a bluescreen or so that gives me some info on the culprit.
Blocked Profile
Jan 20, 2014 at 12:32 PM
You can also download bluescreenview which will interrogate any DMP files you have created by the BSOD. it will tell you driver causing the problem.
gdome Posts 9 Registration date Sunday January 19, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2014
Jan 20, 2014 at 12:34 PM
I have bluescreenview allready. But now there is nothing in minidump because the restart happens so abrupt.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Jan 20, 2014 at 10:17 PM
Ok, disable automatic restart on system failure doesn't create any BSOD files in minidump. Laptop just stops. In event log I found some errors regarding indexing. A few times my laptop has to rebuild the index, but seems it doesn't work because he does that every 20 minutes or so.

Before I was only looking at the critical errors which showed an error with kernel-power. But I believe this indexing problem might be worth to look at.

I found similar problem on
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/76d8863b-1f3a-44c8-9b5c-301394a5fa9c/windows-7-problems-with-indexing-defender-etc?forum=w7itproui
where they say to install intel rapid storage driver
But any attempt at installation my laptop goes out, which might be a good indicator that this could be the problem.

I will process now by doing a clean install instead of using HP recovery.
Jan 21, 2014 at 01:16 AM
After clean install + all drivers system still hangs and i'm still not getting BSOD's. Can't even run windows update.
Blocked Profile
Jan 21, 2014 at 09:46 AM
can you perform a check disk on your hard drive.

open command prompt, run as administrator type "chkdsk C: /f /r" and restart.
Jan 21, 2014 at 10:52 PM
I fixed windows update with a tool from microsoft. The laptop uses energy saving plan and I ran chkdsk like you suggested.

Looks like stable for now. Will do further testing with other power plans, hoping problem stays away.

So if the chkdsk fixed it, does that mean my HDD is going bad?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Blocked Profile
Jan 22, 2014 at 05:08 AM
Once the check disk is finished you want to look in the event logs, application logs for the event "chkdsk" - See the results. If it states there are bad sectors or that it has fixed corrupts then run the check again. If it states it is fixing bad sectors again then you should definitely look to replace the hard drive. get a backup of your data.
Jan 28, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Laptop keeps shutting down on:

windows 7 hp recovery, windows 7 fresh install, windows 8.1 fresh install.

Laptop is stable on any windows on battery alone.
Laptop is stable on ubuntu on battery + AC adapter.

On ubuntu looks like CPU is running at 933 mhz most of the time and when needed at 1.6 ghz, while this 720QM is rated at 1.6 ghz with turbo till 2.8 ghz.

So looks like the heat in the past dammaged the CPU, I think.

Is there any way to lower the ghz of CPU in windows? Because my bios does't have many options.
Blocked Profile
Jan 28, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Have you tried updating the BIOS?
Jan 28, 2014 at 12:14 PM
it had the latest bios allready from the start. Maybe I can try older bios?
Blocked Profile
Jan 28, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Did it work with older BIOS?

your laptop runs fine if you dont have the charger plugged in windows?

can you reset your BIOS settings to default.
Appa Rao Posts 3 Registration date Monday February 3, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2014
Feb 3, 2014 at 09:24 AM
Change the Laptop Battery
Feb 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM
The laptop runs fine in windows if charger not plugged in.

I didn't try older BIOS and settings are at default.

I kept ubuntu on this system because it works perfectly with that, no more problems.

I still think this must be a hardware fault on CPU or mobo because the first thing i tried was a factory reset and drivers should be OK with that.