IE8.1 constantly crashes,freezes,forcing "restart"

Closed
eggjelly Posts 2 Registration date Friday May 9, 2014 Status Member Last seen May 10, 2014 - May 9, 2014 at 12:26 PM
eggjelly Posts 2 Registration date Friday May 9, 2014 Status Member Last seen May 10, 2014 - May 10, 2014 at 10:22 AM
even though I ticked the "download updates by selection only (or something similar to that)" on windows 8.1,daily a large number of updates were taking place necessitating restarts etc.
finally out of frustration (because in the middle of operation,the computer froze and crashed until the downloaded-by-itself upgrades finished) I again ticked the box for downloads of upgrades only by selection.now,IE constantly crashes,freezes,forcing "restart" to get back working again.this too with "Outlook/Hotmail" is it a case of antivirus or Windows Defender
causing this?I must add that antivirus by AVG is a total hassle and their constant reminders and/or looking to sell additional "spare parts"and programmes are a total bummer
I have no intention of renewing AVG when the annual subscription runs out
thanks
Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
May 9, 2014 at 08:23 PM
Can you do a system restore to roll back the updates?

press Start and type system restore.
eggjelly Posts 2 Registration date Friday May 9, 2014 Status Member Last seen May 10, 2014
May 10, 2014 at 10:22 AM
I'll try it next time it crashes,hopefully it doesn't
in any case,this morning I used "shutdown" after I returned from work,I tried to start..nothing happened..the computer didn't start up..a few switch ons and offs,and it came alive,this time the laptop keyboard wasn't working..a further restart returned the comp to normal
I fail to understand Microsoft..a satisfactory system needs to be tinkered with? and then it pee's off the customer...