BSOD After Deleted Registry Keys

Closed
Bucky007 Posts 2 Registration date Saturday August 9, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 10, 2014 - Aug 9, 2014 at 11:11 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Aug 10, 2014 at 05:40 PM
I followed these instructions in an attempt to get a new external hard drive to install on my HP xw4400 Workstation - Windows XP SP3.

----------------------------------------------------------
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

To fix this problem, delete the UpperFilters registry value and the LowerFilters registry value. These values may cause access problems. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate and then click the UpperFilters registry value. This value is located in the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

Note If you receive an error when you try to delete the registry subkey, you may not have appropriate permissions to edit the subkey. For more information about how to set or change registry editing permissions, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
310426 How to set or change registry editing permissions in Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003
Locate and then click the LowerFilters registry value. This value is located in the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

Note If you receive an error when you try to delete the registry subkey, you may not have appropriate permissions to edit the subkey. For more information about how to set or change registry editing permissions, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
310426 How to set or change registry editing permissions in Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the computer.
Note If you remove both registry values, and then you lose functionality in a particular program such as CD recording software, you may have to reinstall that software. If this problem occurs again, contact the software vendor for help.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I created a restore point, but not a back up disk prior to deleting the registry keys. However, I can't even get the computer to boot up in Safe Mode or Last Configured Setting.

Is there anyone who can help with some options? I have access to the Bios menu, as well as the HP Back Up and Recovery Console, but nothing else works.

I'm desperate, as I have a lot of media and programs on this computer that I need access to. Re-installing Windows XP Professional is not an option if I'm going to lose all of that information.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Aug 10, 2014 at 01:11 AM
Hello,

Try this 1

If you have Windows XP CD then try to repair the OS.

Click on the below link and follow the instructions.

https://ccm.net/faq/516-repairing-windows-xp-using-cd-installation

Make sure that you have selected the correct option.

Good Luck
Bucky007 Posts 2 Registration date Saturday August 9, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 10, 2014 1
Aug 10, 2014 at 08:54 AM
Thank you Jack4rall. I appreciate the information. This is the approach I would like to take, but unfortunately, I do not have the Windows XP Installation CD, as I purchased the system from an "independent" third party.

Is it possible to purchase and download an XP Installation CD online? I know XP is no longer supported, but someone might have something out there to use, somewhere.

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks again.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Aug 10, 2014 at 05:40 PM
Hi Bucky

My friend Jack is kind of busy these days. Even if you had a 3rd party CD it would not work as each operating system CD is unique with it's own registration number. Another CD would give you a counterfeited message and eventually wipe out your system.

If your system has the requirements, I suggest you install Windows 7 which you will need to purchase.

Sorry but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Regards