Windows XP not logging on beyond Welcome

Closed
markb_gt - Mar 13, 2009 at 03:44 PM
 markb_gt - Mar 13, 2009 at 06:15 PM
Hello,

My Acer Laptop which has Windows XP boots up until it reaches the welcome screen. then when i try to log in as myself or even as admin it comes up with the pplain wallpaper and no icons on the desktop, no start menu....basically nothing. At first I tried alt/control/del to get task manager and got the internet to run from that, then it suddenly froze....I had to close down the computer. Once I did whenever I tried logging back in it either logged me out automatically or if i managed to get in, whenever i tried control/alt/del to launch task manager, it logs me off immediately.

I tried F8 to have it start in safe mode so I could get to restore it but it wouldnt log in to the safe mode....it gets stuck with something like... multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)....and so on which fills the entire screen (against a black background).

Please can anyone help?
Related:

1 response

The following message is now popping upo when i try to log in using the safe mode........

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer
Bad_pool_caller

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, as your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.
If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware of software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 to slect advanced startup options and then select safe mode.

Technical information
***stop:0x000000c2(0X00000043 0Xc4f06000,0X00000000, 0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for assistance