WD 2tb hard disk shown as oem healthy disk with zero space

Closed
seena - Apr 22, 2015 at 02:02 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Apr 22, 2015 at 08:52 AM
Hello,

When I want to use WD 2tb hard disk as external hard disk, my windows xp did not reconize it but Windows 7 did show the disk only in Disk Management as OEM disk with zero space and there is no option for formatting and it also shown as unsupported disk.Why

Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Apr 22, 2015 at 02:29 AM
Hi Seena,

Could you tell me model of your hard drive? It seems to me that it is an internal drive. How do you connect it externally, with a SATA to USB cable or with some enclosure? Does the drive work properly when connected with a SATA connector? I recommend you to try the HDD on another PC and see if there will be difference. If formatting the drive is an option, try using the Diskpart command from the Command Prompt. You can use it to clean partitions and assign a drive letter. I leave you some details below. To confirm the drive's condition, I recommend you to use Data Lifeguard Diagnostic, the WD diagnostics tool. I leave you a download link below.
https://ccm.net/faq/34271-windows-the-diskpart-command - The DISKPART command
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=Wko5O9 - Data Lifeguard Diagnostic

Hope this helps
Sir, it is WD Model MDL: WD20EVDS-63T3BD, a 2tb desktop hard disc. It was previously used by Dell Desk top system running Windows 7. I got it removed and used as external hard drive for my laptop with the support of external USB enclosure. Windows XP did not recognise it at all. Even in Windows 7, only in Disk Management it appears as a oem disk without any space. Even I tried diskpart, but did not succeed. It says, it has not partitions at all. I also could not format it.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > seena
Apr 22, 2015 at 08:52 AM
Some enclosures or adapters do no provide enough energy to run properly a 3.5'' hard drive. If your HDD works fine when connected with SATA cable, then the issue comes from the cable. I strongly recommend you to check the drive on another PC, as an internal drive. What options do you have when you right click on the drive in Disk Management?
Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892
Apr 22, 2015 at 05:24 AM
Hello seena,
Did you check how you connect your desktop HDD to laptop?...The Desktop HDD needs suitable power if not it will not recognize in laptop.. did you try this HDD with any other computer and tell whether it is working?