Accessing files on a hard-drive when it is slaved

Solved/Closed
Khatton Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday September 16, 2015 Status Member Last seen September 17, 2015 - Sep 16, 2015 at 07:13 PM
Khatton Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday September 16, 2015 Status Member Last seen September 17, 2015 - Sep 17, 2015 at 09:19 AM
I'm not technical at all, but I'm attempting to recover my own files from my hard-drive before reinstalling all operating systems on my laptop. I have slaved my SATA hard-drive to a working computer, and the computer seems to recognize the device, but how do I access my files? I'm mainly just trying to save photos. Is there a way for me to access them without setting up partitions? From what I am reading, it sounds like doing that will cause me to loose all of my files?
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 17, 2015 at 03:53 AM
Hi Khatton,

If you connect your hard drive to another PC and use the drive as a secondary drive, that means the computer will boot the OS from its primary drive. Your drive should appear in Disk Management and in My Computer as it is, without any need to make changes. If the drive is not listed in My Computer, search for it in Disk Management. You may need to assign it a letter. You can do it, right clicking the drive. This should not affect your data. Do no try to initialize, partition or format the drive.

Hope this helps

Khatton Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday September 16, 2015 Status Member Last seen September 17, 2015
Sep 17, 2015 at 09:19 AM
Thank you for the advice. After doing a little more searching through the files, I was able to locate them and save them to the working computer's hard-drive.