No Internet

Closed
Kween Kiwi - Apr 9, 2009 at 10:12 PM
 arif - Apr 10, 2009 at 06:03 AM
Hello,

I installed Windows XP onto an Acer laptop that already had Vista. The Vista was canceled out, and now I can't get on the Internet, there is no sound and none of my drivers work. I've tried uninstalling Windows XP but that hasn't worked either.
Related:

4 responses

ballapaddag Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday April 8, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 10, 2009
Apr 10, 2009 at 02:40 AM
When you say "Vista was cancelled out", what do you mean?
Was the machine completely rebuilt from the ground up or an over - install?

On the basis of your posting it could well be that the internal devices on the Acer (Sound Card, NIC etc) are not generically supported in XP and you need to obtain the correct drivers for your machine from the Acer website.
Check in the Device Manager to see which devices are not installed correctly and this may lead you in the correct direction to resolve your difficulties.
Try visiting http://www.acersupport.com/notebook/
Regards
Mick
It was canceled out as in...the Vista was no longer accessible after XP was installed. I am going to check this out. Actually this is my boyfriend's computer, so I will run this by him ASAP later in the morning. Thank you, I will be returning to let you know if the problem was resolved or not.
ballapaddag Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday April 8, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 10, 2009
Apr 10, 2009 at 04:56 AM
Hi,
I'm still not certain what you mean by Vista being cancelled out an no longer available.
I've never tried over installing XP onto a Vista machine but if the process is reliant upon an in-built Microsoft process then I would be very sceptical as to its functionality and success.

If this is what has been done and the previous suggestion is not successful then personally I would completely wipe the hard drive to ensure that there is no reference to Vista remaining and then install XP.
Booting from the XP disc should display a note that an Operating System already exists and also offer you the option to format the drive.
I would choose to format the drive as NTFS ( Full - NOT quick) and then the XP installation will continue automatically
Regards
Mick
Apr 10, 2009 at 05:00 AM
P.S.
Forgot to add that you may still have to download and install the appropriate Device Drivers for the Acer machine if the devices are not automatically initialised by XP. Also it would be wise to install XP SP3 to ensure that maximum security and recognised device updates are applied
hi first check tht u install lan drivers to access internet & sound driver to listen song check it have u got any problem while u installing winxp.......if yes then rentsall