First time build "No Signal"

Solved/Closed
Groppstopper - Dec 23, 2015 at 01:47 PM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Dec 23, 2015 at 05:48 PM
Last night I put together my first computer. I installed all of the components and it seemed ready to go so I booted up and it worked perfect. I installed Windows 8.1 and then proceeded to install some drivers for the hardware that windows didn't catch upon installing. After installing the hardware I restarted the PC and now I have a blue screen and "no signal" on the monitor I was using. I am connected to the monitor with an HDMI cord.

I don't believe it is a problem with GPU (maybe it could be) but the GPU is only connected to the PCI on the motherboard and not connected to the power supply. I realized this when I went to download my graphics driver and there was no signal from the GPU on the PC. So when I shut down the PC I tried to find some cables to hook to the GPU. However, whether or not the GPU is plugged in the PC shows "no signal."

I'm just really lost and don't know how to troubleshoot this as I'm pretty inexperienced with all of this. Any help would be appreciated.

Here are my specs:
I'm in a mini-itx 130 Elite case
AsRock H97M-ITX/ac Motherboard
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU
Zotac Geforce GTX 970 GDDR5 GPU
Crucial BX200 240GB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2x8GB) 1600 MT/s RAM
COrsair CX Series CX430M 430W ATX12V PSU
Related:

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Dec 23, 2015 at 02:08 PM
Hi Groppstopper,

Hopefully the problem will be as simple as having the wrong output from the Graphics card in use. My suggestion is to change the HDMI cable and use the VGA output.

If the card needs power you will experience this sort of issue. I dont know the card, but there is often a 6 or 8 pin connector (2x3 or 2x4) that goes from the power supply to the graphics card. I will take a look in a wee bit to see if I can see anything likr it on the web, but Im at work now and will need some time to fine it (in my next break)

Let me know if you get it going before so I can look at someone elses issue if you dont need me any more.

I really appreciate thank you messages as a payment for solving issues   :o)
I found out the cable was just a little screwy, I got the OS back on the monitor! Thanks for taking the time to look at my issue. Now all I need to figure out is how to hook up the graphics card. It's an abnormal 2x6 pin connector and I don't have two 6 pins for my PSU. I'll be able to figure it out though. Thanks for the help!
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Dec 23, 2015 at 05:48 PM
Glad you got it sorted. You should be able to buy these connectors if the power supply does not come with them. I would consider buying a power supply that has them anyway.