Compaq Presario CQ40 - "Unmountable Boot Volume" Error

Closed
maroofghansar Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday February 14, 2017 Status Member Last seen February 16, 2017 - Feb 16, 2017 at 08:33 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Feb 17, 2017 at 03:30 AM
Hello,
I have a Compaq Presario CQ40 which doesn't want to boot up. It starts ok, asks me if I want to start windows normally goes on to the black screen where the windows logo come up then from there things start to go downhill. A blue screen appears just for a flash and then it restarts. The flash is so quick that I had to take a video and then dissect it frame by frame to read what it said. It says "Unmountable boot volume"

I originally had a windows vista installed, then it crashed after a few years, then a friend of mine erased everything (including the partitions) and installed a windows 7 on it. So, it currently has a windows 7 installed. I have tested both memories, they seem to work fine. Quick hard disk self test passed too. I do not have a recovery disc, tapping the F10, F11 or F12 doesn't take me into the recovery mode. Tried the BIOS too as per some other suggestions online, no joy.

Any help will be highly appreciated.
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Feb 17, 2017 at 03:30 AM
Hi maroofghansar,

You have done good job trying to solve the issue. The causes of the problem may be two: a hard drive problem or a Windows problem. I would start by booting from a Windows installation drive and selecting the Repair option. It may solve some minor booting issues without harming your data. Is reinstalling the OS an option? If you have important files on the hard drive, I suggest you to connect it to another PC and backup all important data. Download the drive manufacturer’s diagnostic tool and analyze the drive for errors.

Hope this helps