Computer restarts by itself

Closed
oinksalot8 Posts 1 Registration date Friday May 22, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 23, 2009 - May 23, 2009 at 03:40 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - May 24, 2009 at 12:25 PM
Hello,
when i turn on my computer a message pops up saying there was a problem and it lists 5 ways to start it up: safe mode, safe mode w/networking, safe mode w/command prompt, last configuration, and start windows.
i've tried starting it up using all of the above options but it results in my computer restarting. when it restarts it directs me to the same error page with the methods of turning it on. sometimes it will beep too.
i have no idea what to do.
before this our computer was giving us error messages about graphics, and our internet explorer stopped working. we think it was potentially a virus that caused all of this.

how can i turn on my computer or fix it without losing any of my saved files??
thanks!

2 responses

sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
May 24, 2009 at 08:14 AM
(is the graphics card an nvidia one, by any chance? I'm for ever having issues with nvidia and having to keep reinstalling the drivers.)

do you have the windows XP cd?

if so you can boot into recovery consul (for this you are going to need the administartors password if there is one)

you can then do a chkdsk on the drive. this may fix any corrupt files that you have. enabling you to restart your PC.

if you do have an XP cd, and if you need some help with this, let me know.

there is another option, but you are going to need the help of someone elses PC.

if one is available, you can slave your HDD to their pc. Boot up their pc and do a chkdsk from their PC.

hope this is of use.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 24, 2009 at 12:25 PM
I suggest a Windows "Repair/Install" that will reinstall Windows XP and retain your current files and programs.
go to this site for more information:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Good Luck