I used to spend a lot of time looking at the product labels, but Yuka made my grocery shopping easier.
Using my smartphone, I can scan the barcode of any food or cosmetic label.
The app then will display a list with all the details of the nutritional values and the ingredients, on a scale ranging from red to green.
Red shows unhealthy ingredients such as fat, salt, sugar and additives. The higher the percentage of green ingredients, the healthier the product is.
If a product is marked as unhealthy, the app will recommend a similar alternative with healthier ingredients.
Yuka is an application designed to display practical product information directly to the consumer. Specifically, Yuka allows you to scan the labels of the food and cosmetics that you buy, and quickly know their ingredients/contents and what effects they have on your health and the environment.
One of the advantages of this app is that, in addition to evaluating the quality and impact of the products that you want to buy, it also provides similar, but healthier and less polluant, suggestions. (However, its developers ensure that the criteria to define the level of a product are completely independent, without influence from any company or brand.)
- Possibility to scan the product barcode and immediately see its impact on your health;
- When the selected product is badly noted the app suggests healthier alternatives;
- Objective, independent and ad-free app;
- Extensive database of products: 700,000 food products and 300,000 cosmetic items;
- Each food product is analyzed according to 3 criteria: nutritional quality, presence of additives and organic aspect of the product.
- Cosmetic products are analyzed according to their ingredients.
Yuka is a free application that is also available for iOS devices.